PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to add dead rock to an established tank?

Reefer08
06/27/2009, 01:08 AM
Is it okay to add dead rock to an established reef tank? I have an established sps tank.

What will happen?

Thanks.

Reefer08
06/27/2009, 01:11 AM
The rock was sitting out for a while, its dried out.

Toddrtrex
06/27/2009, 01:12 AM
How big is the tank, and how much live rock is in there?
How big is the "dead" rock, and was it ever live ?

Might want to place it in a bucket of salt water -- could even use old water from a water change -- and swish it around a bit. Then place it in another bucket with different salt water. Let it sit over night and test the water. Want to see if it is leaching out any phosphates.

The above is more important to do with a smaller tank, in a larger one might be able to get away with just swishing it in the old water.

Reefer08
06/27/2009, 01:22 AM
I have 67g tank, total of 80g water volume.
The rock was once live but now its dead. I have about 40-45lbs live rock in the tank.

Its about 4 lbs of live rock that's dead, but its porous rock so its about medium sized.

jenglish
06/27/2009, 01:27 AM
If there is organics stuck in the rock from being previously in a tank they will decay and release ammonia like anything else dead in a tank. If it is a small amount compared to your tank, then you may not notice a spike, it may be like adding a pinch of food.

I would be on the safe side and give it a dip in full vinegar or muriatic acid dip, not that I think what's on the rock will cause a problem but just to remove what you can. JMO

Reefer08
06/27/2009, 02:07 AM
Yeah I let the rock sit in vinegar 50/50 solution for about 2 hours. Im letting it sit in ro/di water for 2 days to try and leach out any phosphates. I plan on letting the rocks sit in saltwater (old saltwater from me doing a water change) for a week. I don't wanna add any ammonia to my tank. Do you guys think I should let the rocks cure for more than a week?

aquariumclown
06/27/2009, 02:18 AM
It should be fine, looks like your taking all the precautions. There's plenty of established bacteria in your tank to cure the dead rock.

wschang812
06/27/2009, 02:24 AM
if it is a small rock compared to the amount of rock in your tank, you should be fine. if its a large rock, you might get a mini cycle