PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jaw Trigger feedback

returnofsid
06/27/2009, 08:38 AM
Hi all!!

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who's ever had a Blue Jaw Trigger in a reef tank. In particular, I'm wanting to know if it bothered corals, clams, anemones or other inverts. Also interested in what you fed it. Also, were there any particular fish that it picked on, or picked on it? Pic would also be great!!

I'm considering putting on in 200 Deep Dimension that I'll be setting up soon.

Daffydanny
06/27/2009, 10:31 AM
I have a blue jaw trigger and it has never picked at any of my corals which include montiporas,acros,scoly,frogsawn,zoos...etc.
I also have a cleaner shrimp and a maxima clam that he never touches. i feed him pellets,flakes and frozen mysis shrimp. Hes lived in harmony with my clownfish,cardinalfish,christmas wrasse and chromis. Heres a pic:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/DaffyDanny/BlueJaw.jpg

unbreakable
06/27/2009, 10:41 AM
Great fish. I got one from a friend and he eats frozen meaty foods and he LOVES nori seaweed on a clip. He's been safe with my SPS and zoanthids, including duncans and clams. I dont know about inverts like snails or hermits, but i would say yes; i think my melanurus wrasse has been eating most of my CUC

Gets a little aggressive during feeding and will most likely scare some of the calmer fish since it moves so fast

It will also find a cave that itll like and wedge itself in there when it gets scared

returnofsid
06/27/2009, 10:42 AM
Good to hear!! What it introduced after the shrimp and clam were already established? How do you think it would react if you were to introduce new shrimp or clams?

unbreakable
06/27/2009, 10:47 AM
Mine was safe with shrimp in a previous tank, but when adding a fire shrimp in my tank after the trigger was established, the shrimp had zero chance.. I think it was my wrasse again, most likely, but I noticed the trigger checking out the shrimp a few times.. then 10 minutes later the shrimp was missing its head.

mine doesnt care about clams; his cave is right next to my squamosa, and i bet it wouldn't care about the shrimp if they were there before it though

its a fast fish with a large appetite but its a favorite in my tank

rgentry123
06/27/2009, 11:59 AM
great fish. never touched any corals, inverts or bothers any other fish in my tank. great reef fish, in fact i have PBT that will sometimes harass my tomini tang and the bluejaw sometimes seems likes he acting like the protective big brother becuase he will swim between the PBT and the tomini and the PBTwill swim away. i dont know if he's actually trying to protect the other fish, but it sure seems that way.

unstopable
06/27/2009, 01:22 PM
great fish for me too never had any problems in my reef tank as well.

gradth
06/27/2009, 04:24 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a48/gradth/momscamera053009068.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a48/gradth/momscamera053009101.jpg

Thats my pair. Both are great and dont bother anything. The male hid and didnt eat for the first 10 days or so, now he wont leave me alone. has no fear, just comes up to the glass, to my hand whatever.

I feed mysis, brine and pellets. Oh and they love Seaweed.

mdrc
06/27/2009, 05:25 PM
i have a pair like above and they are great, the trick is when i add shrimp i take them out of the acclimation bucket cup them in my hand then slide them along the glass and close my hand and place them right in the closest cave, so they never see the shrimp hit the water and they dont get that feeding response and then just see it as another critter on the reef not food, helps me

stagcrazy
06/27/2009, 05:35 PM
same here never touched any corals in my tank lps,sps or zoos never bothered a shrimp either and he is very friendly to all his tankmates, its funny beacuse when i pass by the tank he will swim towards the surface turn sideways and flap his fins against the water surface to make noise that way i feed him its hilarious, by far my fave fish in the tank.