PDA

View Full Version : Killing Rock

downhillbiker
06/27/2009, 10:50 AM
What is the best way for me to kill live rock? I just got some super cheap live rock from someone here in Utah, and it has majanos, aptasia, leathers, zoas, bubble algae all over it. I was thinking of just setting in sun for a week and then washing with water. Will that fix it?

seattleguy
06/27/2009, 11:18 AM
Yes that will work and leave some surviving bacteria. It may take a while but the only concern would be reconditioning it to be live once again. "Curing it" so to speak.

Bleaching it with Chlorine Bleach is your other alternative. I've actually boiled rock before too.

jenglish
06/27/2009, 01:14 PM
I'm a big fan of an acid dip, Either vinegar of muriatic acid. It dissolves a little bit of the rock but does a great job removing organics and probably PO4. It's not equal to 6 months of cooking but it helps.

You may want to frag off the zoas or leathers though :D

downhillbiker
06/27/2009, 03:18 PM
So I think I will be doing the bleach thing. I dont care about the bacteria, I have plenty of live rock/sand to seed it. It is going in a new setup so will have time to cure. Thanks guys.

Fragging corals is too late, they have been in the sun for all night and all day now.