PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove anenomies from Live Rock

Glennw
06/27/2009, 11:44 AM
I've got 3 large green bubble tip anenomies on one larger piece of live rock. What is the Safest, easiest and fastest way to get one of them off to sell with out injuring it?

MrRyanT
06/27/2009, 12:11 PM
Haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that you can touch their foot with a piece of ice and it will cause them to release.

jenglish
06/27/2009, 12:28 PM
Iced foot or put the rock directly in front of a strong stream of water. THe nem should release. I tend to think the waterflow is safer but I don't have any proof.

darkdruid
06/27/2009, 08:16 PM
A flat screwdriver and chip the rock out from under one.

bhelne01
06/27/2009, 08:20 PM
the iced foot seems like the better idea

Agu
06/27/2009, 08:57 PM
Three things have worked for me and they take patience. (or a hammer and chisel)

Surround the anemones foot with pieces of rock, redirect a powerhead at it and hope you're home when it decides to move.

Hold the rock it's on upside down out of the water so just the tentacles touch and hope you have more determination than the anemone.

Bust up the rock with the hammer and chisel, it's probably the most effective.

Glennw
06/30/2009, 06:20 PM
I tried the second method first; holding the rock upside down with its tentacles just touching the water. After about 1.5 hours, it still did not drop and one of them was starting to get a tear on its side, so I stopped this method. A couple of days after this, I took the rock out and did the hammer and chisel method. It worked but there has to be an easier way!!
Anybody else have success any other way??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15268640#post15268640 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
Three things have worked for me and they take patience. (or a hammer and chisel)

Surround the anemones foot with pieces of rock, redirect a powerhead at it and hope you're home when it decides to move.

Hold the rock it's on upside down out of the water so just the tentacles touch and hope you have more determination than the anemone.

Bust up the rock with the hammer and chisel, it's probably the most effective.

Cbravo212
06/30/2009, 07:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15266769#post15266769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jenglish
put the rock directly in front of a strong stream of water.

This has worked for me in the past. I have heard about the turning the rock upside down and pointing a ph at its foot, but I have only done the ph as there were a few pounds of LR on top of the nem rock.

Cbravo212
06/30/2009, 07:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15266769#post15266769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jenglish
Iced foot or put the rock directly in front of a strong stream of water. THe nem should release. I tend to think the waterflow is safer but I don't have any proof.

This has worked for me in the past. I have heard about the turning the rock upside down and pointing a ph at its foot, but I have only done the ph as there were a few pounds of LR on top of the nem rock.

ludnix
06/30/2009, 07:20 PM
Bag of ice on the foot has worked best for me.