PDA

View Full Version : DIY sump question

nick063
06/27/2009, 03:44 PM
so i have a 30 gallon sump now but i am interested in having a larger area for my refugium, my question is has anyone used a glass aquarium from like petsmart and made baffles using acrylic pieces?

thanks

uncleof6
06/27/2009, 06:54 PM
Many do this. Nothing wrong with it. The only draw back is that silicone and acrylic do not bond very well. For some, this is not an issue, for others it is. It is best to use glass baffles with a glass sump, and acrylic baffles with an acrylic sump. Acrylic expands in water, glass does not, so the acrylic baffles need to be cut smaller (so as not to break the glass) which in turn involves sealing issues with acrylic/silicone/glass combination. How critical is the seal? Depends on your point of view. From mine, a sump with leaky baffles is not a sound sump. You can get a seal with acrylic/silicone, just easier with glass baffles.

FWIW,

Jim

sam75
06/27/2009, 08:11 PM
Did a 10 gallon sump this way and it's held solid for 4 years now. I did not know that about the expansion of acrylic in water. Guess I got lucky or more likely was sloppy when I cut the baffles and left a bit of clearance. Definitely good knowledge to squirrel away for future builds!

MrRyanT
06/27/2009, 10:02 PM
As stated above it really depends on how you want to set it up. I used acrylic baffles in a standard 55 gal glass tank for my sump. Its a very simple setup with just 2 baffles separating 3 sections. Pretty equal amount of water in each section which of course keeps pretty even pressure against each side of the baffles. Its been setup and running for over 2 years with no problems.

nick063
06/28/2009, 02:02 PM
MrRyanT,

how did you construct your sump, I'm kinda lost on how i need to get the baffles cut and what did you use for the glue any pics i could see?? thanks!!

williah
06/29/2009, 08:36 AM
Hello Nick,

I just did it with a 15 gal tank, 24" long. I basically followed a very useful youtube video. He recommends the type of acrylic to use. I didn't use the gasket and drill a hole for the intake, I just have a hose running into the intake section. Although I do have a pipe, with a cut slot running the length of it, at the end of the hose. This makes the water (and bubbles) exhaust out along the whole length of the intake section (less/no bubbling noise).

I went heavy on the silicone to seal the section deviders and baffles, but it went well. No leaks after the first test (2 tiny leaks). I let it set for 48 hours.

I used three baffles, but I have a turf scrubber in my refugium (middle) section splashing up a lot of extra water. From what I've heard 2 baffles work.

I'm posting some picks soon, but here are some links of the video and another example I used. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNe_OYgoL8&feature=related

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/glass/index.html

tuzeman
06/29/2009, 10:57 AM
cool vids. Thanks.