PDA

View Full Version : Air stones for power outage backup questions??

luther1200
06/27/2009, 04:55 PM
So the power went out last night so I went and got some battery powered air pumps. My question is how long will an airstone last? And if you use it for an hour or 2 do you have to get rid of it? I never had a FW tank so I don't know anything about airstones. The power just went out again but only for about 20 minutes. And thats my next question. Should I put the nattery pumps on as soon as the power goes out? Or is it OK to wait a little while and see if it comes back on? Or should I just turn them on right away to be safe?

And my last question is, how long do you think a moderately stocked 65 would last on 2 or 3 battery powered air pumps?

Agu
06/27/2009, 06:34 PM
First of all take them back and get the kind that turns on automatically in the event of a power outage, The penplax B11 is one such model. If you're having that many power outages you need an auto on bubbler.

Second, use rigid tubing and skip the airstones,bigger bubbles create more flow and airstones can plug up. Make sure the tubing is secured and can't rise to the surface.

The B11 can run up to 24 hours on fresh batteries. Two of them can support your tank as far as aeration/flow for a few hours.

luther1200
06/27/2009, 06:40 PM
Yes they are the ones that turn on automatically. I guess I worded that wrong. Those are the ones I have The Penplax B11. I was going to not hook them up like that because I planned on being home all weekend. But I decided to hook 2 of them up to turn on if the power goes out because I won't be home.

I usually don't get a lot of power outages, but there was a fierce thunderstorm last night and I think something got hit by lightning. So I will be cautious for a week or 2.

So get rid of the air stones and just put the tube in the water?

Agu
06/29/2009, 09:58 PM
So get rid of the air stones and just put the tube in the water?

You'll need a way to anchor the outputs or they'll just rise to the surface. That's why I attach rigid tubing to the flex.