PDA

View Full Version : PVC residue in an estabilshed Tank

Wilberheim
06/27/2009, 07:00 PM
I need to rework some plumbing under my tank. And I have to use PVC cement/primer to make it water tight obviously.

Will I be ok if I let the stuff cure overnight before I fire the return pump back up?

xJake
06/27/2009, 07:05 PM
Yes. It should actually be okay after only a couple hours, but it's best to let it cure overnight just to ensure that no leaks develop.

Wilberheim
06/27/2009, 07:10 PM
Excellent.

Looks I will be taking my tank apart soon. haha

Thanks

jdieck
06/27/2009, 07:14 PM
Just try to make as many joints without conecting to the aquarium until the las two of them, you want to vent out as much of the volatile glue as possible. let the pipe joints set and vent for about half hour then rinse with hot water before making the last two conections.
When making the last two conections, use glue only on the male pipe so no glue is pushed to the inside of the pipe. Install some carbon in the aquarium before turning on the pump.
If you are conecting a drain pipe you can use it imediately, for pressurized pipe if using a low pressure pump just wait half hour. If you are using a high pressure pump like for pumping from the basement to a first floor, wait two hours.

Wilberheim
06/27/2009, 07:24 PM
I guess its actually not a rework, I didnt glue a couple of joints when i set up the sump for "just incase". So it may be prett difficult to run hot water thru it. But I will give it a try.

And good point on the male side with glue only, I was going to use as little as possible, but that will help even more.

jdieck
06/27/2009, 07:58 PM
Good luck!

firemedic0135
06/27/2009, 09:54 PM
You shouldnt have any problems.I got alot of PVC glue and shavings in my System when I did some plumbing and had no problems.Total down time 30 min

Wilberheim
06/28/2009, 07:42 AM
It was a complete sucess. No more micro bubble issues!

No livestock deaths

jdieck
06/28/2009, 09:15 AM
:thumbsup: