PDA

View Full Version : First chalice, what do you think?

Logzor
06/27/2009, 07:47 PM
I also need some tips. This fellow has been in the tank for only a few hours now. I am worried that it may be getting too much flow. What are the signs of stress?

Should it be puffed out more? The base is a bit more green and the eyes more pink - this was shot under mostly blue+ t5's.

Pics are following....for perspective it is around 4-5" in diameter.

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs49/i/2009/178/b/a/chalice_tiff_by_Logzor.jpg

roblack
06/27/2009, 08:07 PM
Great 1st chalice!

Logzor
06/27/2009, 08:19 PM
Updated picture. Thanks for the compliment!

I tried exporting as a TIFF (I shoot in RAW) and it is showing the color MUCH better.

douglam
06/27/2009, 08:59 PM
pretty sweet. now you should name it and sell frags to make your money back.

mylittlejade
06/27/2009, 09:33 PM
great looking chalice.

Logzor
06/28/2009, 12:47 AM
Thank you! I am hoping it will coral up even more as the place I bought it from kept it under sunlight.

How can I tell if this coral is happy or not? This is one coral that I do not have experience with.

I want to find the best place in the tank for it. I run a high flow BB tank so it is kind of tricky. How much flow can these guys stand?

Should the tissue be more inflated than the picture shows?

Steve Ruddy
06/28/2009, 09:35 AM
Logzor,

It looks fine so far. Look at it when the lights go out. If you see it in feeding mode (polyps open) thats a good indication it is OK. Feed it a few times a week if you want it to grow otherwise it will go into survival only mode. The ones I have kept don't seem to be particularly picky about flow however most seem to do best in low light.

Charlie Davidson
06/28/2009, 09:44 AM
Very nice! :thumbsup:

Logzor
06/28/2009, 11:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15270129#post15270129 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Steve Ruddy
Logzor,

It looks fine so far. Look at it when the lights go out. If you see it in feeding mode (polyps open) thats a good indication it is OK. Feed it a few times a week if you want it to grow otherwise it will go into survival only mode. The ones I have kept don't seem to be particularly picky about flow however most seem to do best in low light.

Steve,

Thank you for this information. Do the polyps open up similar to that of an acan (only much smaller and around the "eyes")?

mylittlejade
06/28/2009, 11:48 AM
They will look similar to a acan, I wouldn't worry at all it look's very healthy. I like to keep all my chalices in my sand bed so they get low light and they do fine. I also feed mine 2 to 3 times a week, but you can get away with not feeding them they will pick up food when you turn off your pumps to feed your fish.

Logzor
06/28/2009, 02:21 PM
I'll keep my eye out. So far I have not seen any tentacles.

Do these come out during the day or only at night?

Steve Ruddy
06/28/2009, 02:38 PM
Thank you for this information. Do the polyps open up similar to that of an acan (only much smaller and around the "eyes")?

No actually the tentacles are not at all like Acanthastrea sp. Each polyp will have tentacles of different lengths. Beware some are referred to as sweeper tentacles and will cause damage or death to neighboring corals. I have never seem one feed during the day.

thuynhcl
06/29/2009, 04:12 PM
very nice first piece....

Logzor
06/29/2009, 05:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15277165#post15277165 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thuynhcl
very nice first piece....

Thanks! Do not think I spent a bundle, it was 42 USD for this piece. I figured for the size and color it was a good deal. This guy was under natural sunlight for awhile so I am hoping it will get some neat colors over the next few months.