PDA

View Full Version : what test kits do you like?

adammreef
06/27/2009, 07:47 PM
I'm currently using salifert test kits, and some times i question there accuracy, and there also getting old so its time to replace them. I was thinking about getting some elos test kits but i see some bad reviews on marine depot about a few of them. So i just wanted to hear some opinions on what kits everyone uses, how do you like them, are they easy to use, and most of all how accurate are they?

snorvich
06/27/2009, 08:35 PM
I use Elos for Ca, Alk, Mg. I use a photometer for phosphate. Works well for me.

PSU REEFER
06/27/2009, 09:57 PM
Elos all the way

Peter Eichler
06/27/2009, 10:54 PM
The Elos alkalinity kit is the same acid titration kit as many other on the market so I don't get how people can feel OK about the prices they're charging. I now use API kits, they're easy to use, cheap, and I feel they're as reliable or moreso than any other hobbyist grade kit. This coming from someone that used to only use Lamotte and Salifert.

tatuvaaj
06/28/2009, 12:14 AM
I prefer Salifert test kits. They seem to be most consistent and accurate. The only exceptions are Organics test kit which doesn't seem to work very well and Strontium which is a bit difficult test to perform.

There's a lot to improve though... Modern reef aquariums have much lower nutrient levels than tanks 10 years ago but test kits have not improved. Nitrate kits should be about 100x more sensitive than the best ones currently available. More people are also aware of the importance of dissolved organic nutrient levels so kits for total phosphorous and nitrogen would we great. And BOD kit would be interesting to use with organic carbon dosing.