PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on cycling dry rock.

virginiadiver69
06/27/2009, 09:07 PM
Even though I've been in this hobby for a few years I feel like a beginner asking this question.
When I first set up my current tank I used cured rock.
For my up and coming large tank build I've decided to save my money and I got about 150lbs of some beautiful dry Pukani rock.
I soaked it in bleach/water for about two weeks then let it air dry for about a week.
Now I've got in a 100 gal vat with a skimmer and several power heads.
I don't wanna add any live rock to the vat that I currently have in my display due to bubble algae and aiptasia.
What are some recommendations on bacteria that can be added to my curring vat.
I've also seen detritivore and fauna kits that Inland Aquatics and others sell that are meant to jump start a sand bed. Would this be a good idea?

jenglish
06/27/2009, 09:18 PM
I would personally look for a good piece of live rock from a local reefer or LFS devoid of aiptasia and algae. I bought a detritivore kit from IA and liked it but my current tank has most of the same stuff in it jsut from LR. As far as bacteria they will get started even without adding anything. IDK if airborne bacteria just adapt or what, but it happens. THe process will go faster with a small chunk of clean live rock or even a scoop of sand.

Agu
06/27/2009, 09:54 PM
THe process will go faster with a small chunk of clean live rock or even a scoop of sand.

Agreed ............

Even the appropriate bacteria on chaeto, the shells of hermit crabs or snails will help. You don't need to buy a detrivore kit to introduce the appropriate bacteria. I'd personally vote for the chaeto.

However by attempting to keep it sterile you also lose out on the interesting critters introduced with live rock/sand

jjmg
06/27/2009, 10:10 PM
You can keep the cycle very clean but sooner or later you are going to want to add corals or fish and it will no longer be sterile. Pick and chose some pieces of live rock to add and hope for the best. The nasties will find you no matter what. Handle them and enjoy the tank!

virginiadiver69
06/28/2009, 08:42 AM
I wasn't necessarily looking for "sterile" but just wanted to do my best from the beginning of keep bubble algae and aiptasia out of my new tank. These have been the only pests I've dealt with in three years in this hobby and see my new tank as an opportunity to start fresh.
As far as the fish and coral goes...this time I would actually set up a dedicated QT for both and dip all coral before going in the display.
But...unless I hear a better idea, I'll take your advice and add some cheato, live sand and live rock.
Would there be any benefit in adding a small piece of UN-curred rock? Would doing that give my dry rock a super jump start?

tmz
06/28/2009, 09:13 AM
Sometimes, dry rock may have phosphate. Ro soak and test is a worthwhile step. Don't hink bleach would remove PO4 that might be sticking to it. I agree with seeding techniques offered above.

uhuru
06/28/2009, 10:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15268961#post15268961 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jjmg
You can keep the cycle very clean but sooner or later you are going to want to add corals or fish and it will no longer be sterile. Pick and chose some pieces of live rock to add and hope for the best. The nasties will find you no matter what. Handle them and enjoy the tank!

I hope they don't find me! ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15269928#post15269928 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69
Would there be any benefit in adding a small piece of UN-curred rock? Would doing that give my dry rock a super jump start?

I would go with well cured rock but I am trying to avoid the pests you mentioned in addition to many others. You could also add something like prodibio or zeobac and a carbon source. I don't know how well this method works its my first time trying it myself...

virginiadiver69
06/28/2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks uhuru for the idea. I will definitely look into that method.
What prodibio product should be used for this?

uhuru
06/28/2009, 02:43 PM
No prob, if you try it let us know how it works out. I would use Biodigest.