PDA

View Full Version : Best way to change sand in an existing tank?

OneReef
06/28/2009, 01:32 PM
I have had my tank up and running for about 2 years. I have that fine white sand in it, and it still moves around easily when the powerheads aren't aimed 'just right', which can be tough at times with a 75g. I am wanting to crank my flow up since I have pretty much gone to mostly SPS and am wanting to siphon out/remove the most of the fine stuff, and lay down some Reef Grade coarser stuff. I don't want to lay the bigger stuff on top of my old sand, since I don't want my bed getting any deeper. It is currently 1 to 1 1/2 inches, and would like to get most of the old out and put down 1/2 to 1 inch of the courser Reef Grade. Want to get my bed to 1" or less max. What is the best way to go about this without tearing my tank down or having to removing rock?

Nereaga
06/28/2009, 01:35 PM
Best way would be to siphon out some during your water changes, maybe a 1/4 at a time....

Then to add more, buy some PVC and dump the sand down it, should cause minimum cloudiness. With the PVC you can move it all around your setup, where ever you want sand...

Brad

rehype
06/28/2009, 04:48 PM
+1 thats how i changed my sandbed