PDA

View Full Version : coral id and ?'s

bgraves
06/28/2009, 04:48 PM
1st. I made a traid at LFS and can't remember what type corals these are. Can someone id please?

2nd Picked up some Rod's food but don't know how much to feed? Should I feed Rod's & DT's at same time?

3rd Can adding a gnd probe effect coral growth? The brown coral hasn't extended it's feeding arms and is turning white at the tips of it's branches. Is that growth or bleaching? I moved it from my frag rack to a location on the rock. It's about 10" below 6 T5's. Is this to close to the light? Below is water par. It started this about the time I put in the gnd probe. The coral is 3wks old.

I posted this in the reef chemistry forum and didn't get any bites.

water params
1.024 @ 78.7
PH-7.87 @ 9:00am
dKH-10
MAG-1380
CAL-465
NITRI,NITRA,AMON,PHOS-0

coral id
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/209716mini-fish_tank_011.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/209716mini-fish_tank_012.JPG

coral with white tips and not extended
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/209716mini-IMG_1566.JPG

Peter Eichler
06/28/2009, 05:03 PM
If by DT's you mean phytoplankton, phytoplankton is not coral food and will not directly benefit an overhwelming majority of corals. Also, the majority of the particle sizes of Rod's food is probably too large for most SPS corals.

A grounding probe shouldn't have anything to do with growth.

You should be acclimating corals to your light, start them on the bottom and move them up to where you'd like to have them permanantly over the course of 2-3 weeks.

Finally, those are ORA plugs, but appear far too small to be the corals that originally came on them. The first one appears to be a Pocillopora of some type, the second is perhaps a green Montipora digitata, and the last one could any number of things and it's virtually impossible to tell from that photo.

bgraves
06/28/2009, 05:24 PM
The last one is the same as the top. was just curious of why it was turning white at the tips. I will move it back to the frag rack and put it at the bottom of the tank

es1887
06/28/2009, 05:54 PM
the first one looks like a pocillapora not sure about the second, maybe a digitata. i feed rods food and phytoplankton to my tank daily. rods food has a large variety of different foods for your corals. i get awesome growth because of it. your corals will eat phytoplanton also. they grow better from zoo, but there is a lot of elements that they get from the feeding of phyto. i personally would not have a ground probe. there is a current in your tank, but it is not grounded so it goes right through your inhabitants. i do not get why you would put one in your tank. is it just so that you do not get shocked when you touch the hood ect? seems like if that is what you have changed then that would be the culprit. how are the rest of your corals?

bgraves
06/28/2009, 06:57 PM
they seem like they are doing well.

es1887
06/28/2009, 07:58 PM
your ph is a little on the low side that might be contributing. do you have a fuge? did you take the ph while the lights were off?

Peter Eichler
06/28/2009, 10:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15272223#post15272223 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by es1887
your corals will eat phytoplanton also. they grow better from zoo, but there is a lot of elements that they get from the feeding of phyto.

Once again! An overhwhelming majority of corals will in no way directly benefit from phytoplankton... It is NOT coral food.

Bgraves, the white tips are most likely just growth tips, it's often especially noticable on M. digitata.

bgraves
06/29/2009, 03:18 AM
yes i have a 29gal fuge and the ph runs from 7.85 with lights off to 8.01 with them on. I alsways thought it was low, however on other threads they told me it was ok. How can I raise it? I currently dose kalk in my ATO. I used to add marine buffer and was told not to use that buffer due to something in the buffer. It's been a while since I used itl.