PDA

View Full Version : Mixing water in Brute

ddinox64
06/28/2009, 09:42 PM
Bought a Brute 32 gallon to mix water in. Cleaned it thoroughly with just soap and water. Rinsed thoroughly using 120 degree water twice.

Used a dechlor product and Instant Ocean salt like I always do. Dropped in a pump(Rio1700) and put lid on. Started four days ago.

Went to turn on pump, I only run it for about half a day everyday. Took lid off to check specific gravity and noticed on the pump as well as the walls of the container was a gritty film. Water was clear. Nothing sitting on bottom as unmixed salt.

Took my hand and wiped it all down thinking it was maybe just salt layer. Was it? Anyone else have this before?

This is how I've done it for my 30g in a 5 gallon bucket since set up without problems. Never noticed a gritty film on inside of bucket. Never mixed it for four days either, just one or two. If I ever get the 90 brought in this will be my water change bucket.

Let me clarify that this is being mixed for the water needed to set up 90g. Not water change. When I do a water change, I mix a weak solution to allow for salt creep and whatever.

unbreakable
06/28/2009, 09:58 PM
brown in color?

aquariumclown
06/28/2009, 10:08 PM
if it's brown, i've had that happen, I believe it's from IO. Never seen it since I changed to D-D salt.

drummereef
06/29/2009, 12:36 AM
It's normal. I get the exact same buildup in my brute container. I think it has to do with IO salt. Randy in the Chem forum spoke about this a long while ago and he said it happens when mixing IO too. I haven't seen any detrimental effects from it at all. Randy also noted that it wasn't anything to be concerned about. He recommended just rinsing out the brute every few months or so.

Indymann99
06/29/2009, 09:25 AM
My Brute has a bit of a brown film, as well as some calc precipt in the bottom. Nothing shows out of the ordinary in param tests.

I typically keep the Brute FULL of mixed SW for 2 weeks, immeiatly refill and repeat.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/DSC_0098-1.jpg