PDA

View Full Version : stocking help

gio28
06/28/2009, 11:19 PM
hi, i had a couple questions about the fish i have been wanting to add to my 36 reef.

so right now i have
-a misbar clown
-3 blue/green chromis

i've been wanting to get
-a midas blenny
-a flame hawk (i do have a cleaner shrimp)
-a sixline wrasse
-swissguard basslet
-coral beauty or flame angel

i know these are alot of fish...so here are my questions

-if i were to get rid of the chromis could i still keep my clown and get all the other fish that i have on the list? or if not could you modify my list to what you would want to have in the tank..in your opinion?

-if i were to go all out and get an octopus hob skimmer w/ filter space (heard these are the best hob skimmers ever) and also make a fuge with my aquaclear filter would this help my filtration and tank support more fish? i can't have a sump or any non-hang on equipment due to my tanks location on my dresser. so i mean go all out with what my situation is.

-are all the fish i have planned suitable?...like good community fish? peaceful behavior? (i know angels are hit and miss with corals)

thanks for any input you have

Toddrtrex
06/28/2009, 11:47 PM
I would lose the six line -- they get fairly mean, and more so in smaller tanks.

This is what I would do -- using the fish you have listed.

Get rid of the chromis (( heck surprised that you still have 3, IME, they kill each other off until there is one.

Add another clown -- a smaller one then the one you have (( what type do you have?

Keep the blenny.

Keep the flamehawk -- if you don't mind risking your shrimp.

Skip the 6 line -- for reason stated above.

Skip the swissguard basslet -- bio load reasons, and can get a little territorial.

One of the dwarf angels listed, with the knowledge that angels are 50/50 when it comes to reef safe.

Would get the skimmer.

gio28
06/29/2009, 12:00 AM
yeah my chromis peck at eachother but they are at the same time like best of friends idk why but they school great..but im gonna get rid of them to make room. i heard that sixlines can be jerks sometimes too so i'll have to look into getting one or not

my clown (its a true perc...misbar) was in a pair but the male i think died of parasites...so will mine accept another to be with it after its loss?

and just out of curiosity...why do swissguards produce alot of bio load?

Toddrtrex
06/29/2009, 12:05 AM
As for your existing Perc accepting another one, shouldn't be too much of an issue -- make sure to get a smaller one. Could put it in a little breeder/betta box so that they can see each other but, still be separate.

Swissguards won't produce any more bio-load then any other similar sized fish. Just meant that, IMO, adding another fish like that would be too much for that tank. (( a bigger fish wouldn't work either, IMO, with the fish that I picked out, I would consider it the limit for that tank. ))

gio28
06/29/2009, 12:14 AM
hmmm im not sure if my clown is a true or false perc...pretty sure its a true perc though...the only problem is that my clown i have now used to bully his own pair mate when it got too close to his precious anemone...it kinda made them "divorce" eachother. so he might not want another clown with him. he is the shyest most friendly fish ever...but is a totally agressive jerk when it comes to his anemone

for that reason i might pass on another clown and maybe get another fish instead

thanks for the help

Toddrtrex
06/29/2009, 12:21 AM
How long did you have the clowns? And how long has the existing one been alone? Sometimes they will bully, but then other times they will get along great. I am a bit into clowns, so I like having pairs. The odds are good that your current clown is now a female.

If you do skip the additional clown, might be able to get the Swissguard.

Sure thing, glad to help.

gio28
06/29/2009, 12:32 AM
i had the pair for a few weeks..like 2 before one got internal parasites and slowly died. so this lone one has been in my tank for at least a month. the one i have now is so attached to my sebae that when i moved the nem..it stayed in my hand with its nem while i was moving it. i can touch it, pet it, whatever...it wont leave that thing lol. but i am tempted to get a new clown cause i really want to breed them. i just hope mine wont be a bully to the newbie. and im pretty sure that its a female...i think the smaller one died anyways (and smaller ones are males i think..for clowns)

Toddrtrex
06/29/2009, 12:36 AM
The vast majority of the time, the smaller one will be male.

You have the Sebae in the 36 gallon? Unless you are planning to upgrade your tank, not sure that you will have to worry about what fish to add to the tank. They can/will get huge; years ago I had one in a 75, it took up 1/3 of that tank.

gio28
06/29/2009, 12:43 AM
omg i had no idea they get that big...mines a few months old and is like 6" stretched out..when its not attached to anything like when i moved it it was 4" in its circular shape...i hope it splits or something cause its a real nice one, id hate to get rid of it when it gets too big. my clown would be devastated more than me lol.

Toddrtrex
06/29/2009, 12:45 AM
Yea, they get very large -- 20" wouldn't be all that shocking. Unlike BTAs, Sebaes don't split.

gio28
06/29/2009, 12:51 AM
oh really? how do they reproduce then? i could always trade it in when it gets too big for me. they guy at the lfs said they do spilt but idk if i trust those guys entirely...they make sales more than help sometimes.

Toddrtrex
06/29/2009, 11:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15273916#post15273916 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gio28
oh really? how do they reproduce then? i could always trade it in when it gets too big for me. they guy at the lfs said they do spilt but idk if i trust those guys entirely...they make sales more than help sometimes.

Yep. They reproduce sexually, by releasing sperm/eggs -- depending on the sex of the anemone. The only common anemone that regularly splits is a BTA. Certain anemones will "bud" but it isn't all that common.

How long have you had the anemone, and what color is it? (( hopefully not white or yellow ))

gio28
06/29/2009, 12:21 PM
mines yellow with purple tips...its dyed. it seems perfectly healthy despite it being dyed...but i've only had it 4 months now so ill have to see how it turns out.

Toddrtrex
06/29/2009, 12:25 PM
I am surprised that it has lasted this long. Given the track record (( long term )) of dyed Sebaes, I don't think you have to worry about it outgrowing your tank.

Nihoa
06/29/2009, 12:36 PM
if you have anemones you need to be careful with hawkfish. the hawkish is a percher and can get stung by the anemone or worse if the anemone is big enough. maybe thats bs but in researching hawkfish for our tank i came across that tidbit on a few sites warning against mixing them.

gio28
06/29/2009, 01:03 PM
i'll take that into consideration Nihoa, thanks
my old blenny had like this spasm right before it died and swam right into my anemone..it took me forever to get him out without hurting the nem. but anyways i dont want anything disturbing like that to happen again so i'll keep that in mind