PDA

View Full Version : sand during tank move

thirst
06/29/2009, 02:24 AM
I am moving a 80 gallon tank about 20 miles..... there's a 2 inch sandbed. The tank is up for about a year or two.... what should I do with the sank?

A. reuse
B. reuse, but only after rinsing it with tank water repeatedly
C. don't reuse...

I tried to do a search on sand, but wouldn't give me a result since it probably had too many results.

AustinVines
06/29/2009, 07:51 AM
I would probably rinse the sand out in a 5g bucket and a hose. I think Melev has a link on his site to when he washed his sand out. Save a cup or two to reseed your bed after you get it reinstalled.

atwinparadox2
06/29/2009, 07:53 AM
you can just put the sand in a container, stick a hose in it, and run it until it runs clear. Slowly mix the sand from time to time to stir up what's on the bottom to make sure you are really getting it clean, pop it back into the tank when you move. Might want to get some live sand from another reefers tank or fish store to seed your newly cleaned sand. Hope this helps.

atwinparadox2
06/29/2009, 07:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15274574#post15274574 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by atwinparadox2
you can just put the sand in a container, stick a hose in it, and run it until it runs clear. Slowly mix the sand from time to time to stir up what's on the bottom to make sure you are really getting it clean, pop it back into the tank when you move. Might want to get some live sand from another reefers tank or fish store to seed your newly cleaned sand. Hope this helps.

sorry i was typing as AustinVines posted, so it basically tells you the same thing.

rick99vt
06/29/2009, 09:57 AM
In my one experience of moving, I initially planned on rinsing out the sand and reusing. But once I started scooping it out and smelled it, I quickly ran up to the LFS and just got all new live sand. However, I had a fairly deep sand bed that had been in place for over 3 years, I'm sure that added to the foul stank!! Yes, I could have cleaned off the mess, it just seemed tainted at that point, and you can't beat the look of a fresh new sandbed :D

DamnPepShrimp
06/29/2009, 10:45 AM
I am going to be moving my 120g soon and I planned on keeping the sand in the tank (I know it will be heavy, but worth it) during the move. I will leave about 10g worth of water in the tank so everything stays wet and alive. Its warm enough outside so the temp shouldn't be an issue. The reason I want to keep my sand and not disturb it (then it becomes a big problem) is because I have hundreds of nassarius snails that I don't want to lose, I am not going to sift through all that sand to save all my little inverts.

Hop
06/29/2009, 12:06 PM
Nothing good ever comes from reusing sand;)

dr.darkness
06/29/2009, 12:26 PM
I moved my 85g with the sand still in it with a little water and had no problems at all.