PDA

View Full Version : Water...

I_Love_Triggers
06/29/2009, 05:26 AM
I have been a saltwater aquarist for more than a year now and so far my efforts have been very rewarding with my FO tank.

I still have a lot to learn but this is a silly question that I have in my mind for sometime now.

Is it okay to adjust salinity of your saltwater by dissolving rock salt to a distilled water and adding it up to the tank? Just to meet an additional .01 or.02 on the water's specific gravity?

Don't get me wrong, I am not going to use this water entirely but just to add up on the saltwater's specific gravity. I haven't done this so I'd like to know.

Hope I could get some helpful response. Great to be here and thanks.

Derrick XXX

billdogg
06/29/2009, 05:54 AM
NO! Use a salt made for marine aquaria!

walkthedog
06/29/2009, 05:57 AM
[welcome]

I would say that yes it would raise your specific gravity but many sources of rock salt contain impurities. The little black things that are often found in rock salt must be impurites. I wouldn't use it. .01 or .02 isn't that much. Just use a good salt mix and you will be able to sleep better at night.

I_Love_Triggers
07/05/2009, 04:37 PM
I got it. Thanks for the advice. I just wanted to know if it was possible. Thanks again guys.

Derrick XXX

snorvich
07/05/2009, 04:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15274204#post15274204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billdogg
NO! Use a salt made for marine aquaria!

Absolutely correct.