PDA

View Full Version : vortech on 90 gal

katfsh
06/29/2009, 09:34 AM
ok guys and gals I have a 90 gal aga single over flow that currently has very few coral in it. it has been up and running for about 18 months. I have some zoas a leather a plate coral that just showed up and is slowly growing, some gsp, and thats about it, I am running 3 maxi jets and a hydor nano just because i had it. I have a extra mag 12 laying around and i was thinking about using it for a over the back closed loop with a scwd. But now I am leaning towards the mp40-w for simplicity and less clutter. I want to be able to keep any type of coral will one mp40 do it?? If not should i do the closed loop and the mp40 or Just the mp40 and if i feel i need more later add a mp20 bc they will synch together right? Please give my some suggestions.
Thanks

pherbert
06/29/2009, 09:40 AM
The Vortech is a great addition. I have a 90 mixed and everything seems happy. You get more flow, but gentler flow than I had with the modded MJs. Plus, the MJs were always rattling and starting in reverse. Like everyone I choked on the price, but I will say six months later that I'm glad I did it.

I did leave one MJ on the opposite side of the tank on a Wavemaster just to generate some random chaos. That MJ for some reason has never been a rattler after 1.5 years, though it does start in reverse on occasion.

rick99vt
06/29/2009, 09:44 AM
I have three days experience with an MP40w on my 4 ft. 120, and I'd say you'll have more than enough water movement. And I make that statement after having had 2 Tunze 6100's w/ Multicontroller for the past 2+ years. And as you eluded to, I as well made the switch to Vortech mainly for the cleaner look in the tank.

Everybody's experience and perspective is different, in my opinion you'll find that to be plenty.

400M1963
06/29/2009, 10:45 AM
Where in tank did you choose to install it, any pics before and after?

Mike31154
06/29/2009, 03:26 PM
One will do it, but if you plan on more sps, then two would be the ticket. I have a 75 with a few lps and have had it running nicely with a single MP40W for just over a year. Today I received & installed a second MP40W and it's much better in my case. Now I can have the two working together on a lower power setting instead of running the single pump at near full power. This cuts down on the motor noise somewhat and should save wear & tear on the drive components as well.

Starting with one is a great way to go and should be fine for your tank, you can always supplement the flow with one of your existing powerheads until you get comfortable with the VorTech. Then if you decide to get a second, the cost can be spread out a little. As you mentioned, you can always get a less costly MP20 which can later be upgraded to an MP40W by purchasing a new driver and power supply. Be advised however that the MP20 does not have the wireless option out of the box and will not synch with an MP40W until you upgrade the driver & power supply.

TheH
06/29/2009, 04:21 PM
SCWD is tedious to do on a tank that's already up and running.

JD52
06/29/2009, 05:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15277221#post15277221 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheH
SCWD is tedious to do on a tank that's already up and running.

Not if you use it on an external closed loop... By that I mean plumb it with a seperate pump with two returns and draw the water from the main tank. One in, two out...

CSAreefer
06/29/2009, 06:22 PM
if you are looking to simplify and less clutter the vortech is a very good option i have a mp40w on my 60g and love it. but if you are looking to sync you will need another mp40w the mp20 doesnt have the wireless driver as mike31154 stated

katfsh
06/29/2009, 08:34 PM
thanks everyone i cancelled my order for the scwd and fittings for the closed looped and ordered the mp40 I think i will keep the maxi jet mod in the tank on one end and put the mp40 on the other end. I am excited about getting to clean the look of my tank up a bit. My next purchase will be a controller, any ideas on the apex or rke would be nice if one was compatible with the vortechs.

Mike31154
06/30/2009, 10:35 AM
Currently no controllers compatible with the VorTechs. There is a good amount of discussion about this on the EcoTech forum. They are in a way externally controllable in that they can be turned on or off by using a timer, but that's not the kind of control those with high end controllers are looking for. You're paying a premium for the driver/pump combination the MP40W provides, so if you're looking for additional control, the VorTech may not be for you. Many folks with controllers prefer the Tunze option for that reason. I'm more than happy with the control options of the MP40W right out of the box, I do not own any other type of controller.

sebrofjr
06/30/2009, 11:22 AM
+1 on the vortechs. I have a 90g AGA as well and plan to eventually have some SPS.

I ordered 1 MP40w, loved it. ordered another to have them in anti-sync reefcrest mode, loved it even more. Now just this morning I received my battery backup :) a full 36hr backup on one pump. I now feel like its complete :)

For controllers, I have the RKL level 3 and it does everything I need. I chose it based on expandability and looks ( i have it mounted outside the fish room by the inwall). The RKE is just bonkers, but you can start with the RKL and upgrade to RKE if you want. DA even offers a discount if you upgrade later on.

sebrofjr
06/30/2009, 11:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15281263#post15281263 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mike31154
I'm more than happy with the control options of the MP40W right out of the box

Same here. At first i was a little upset I couldn't connect to any external control, but once you start using them and have them setup right... you dont really need any . All the wave-making functions are built right in. You just find the setting you want. dial it in using the intensity dial. then let it go. sync & anti-sync is built in as well.