PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish fights

vyerous
06/29/2009, 11:08 AM
Hello.

A few weeks ago I bit the bullet and got a pair of booyah onyx clowns. Well I already have a pair of true percs on my display who have been in there since the start. I don't know what I was thinking but the true percs have been so peaceful and relaxed I just figured things would go smoothly. I took the booyahs out of QT yesterday and boy did they go at it. The females fought for about 5 minutes then stopped and started hanging out. The males however fought through feeding and a little bit after the lights turned off. When the lights went off the pairs went back to their partners and slept on separate sides of the tanks.

My question is what should I do? If a pair has to go then its the true percs... those booyahs are too beautiful. Should I just let them duke it out until they are happy? I don't want the fish to fight to death, if I have to I can get rid of a pair, even though I'd rather keep both. If I took one fish out of the equation (male true perc), could this resolve problems?

Thanks in advance.

Arati
06/29/2009, 11:36 AM
Just to get it straight you have a resident pair of A.percula and want to add a 2nd pair of A.percula to a 90g tank?

I would guess that as the pairs reach sexual maturity they will begin to remove rivals and you will be left with 2 fish.

Thats not to say you coulnt pull it off , but the odds are prolly against it. If you are really wanting this I would try adding 2 anenome one on each end of the tank and hope the fish can work out a territoty. maybe put some sort of barrier in the middle to kind of help to define thier territorys or something.

Good luck and keep the tank covered for awhile.

vyerous
06/29/2009, 11:40 AM
Yes that is correct. =/

Toddrtrex
06/29/2009, 11:48 AM
Like "Arati" said, the odds are pretty good that you are going to end up with just 1 pair. If it was me, I would pull a pair now, before the fighting gets too bad.

rkelman
06/29/2009, 07:23 PM
I agree the best thing is probably to remove a pair. I however am a student of my own stupidity and would probably have a nem on each side of the tank. This is not something you can do at this point though or they will fight over them. I had a pair of Black O's in my 190 in a carpet. I bought a BTA and a pair of Percs together and put the nem in to get settled right away while I QT'd the Percs. Then I added the percs directly to the BTA (in the net i put it / them right over the BTA) After a few tense days they started to tolerate each other. Now there is no aggression at all. Keep a close eye on them and cover the tank if you are going to go for it. If they start jaw locking or if one or more are being chased badly you'll need to remove a pair.

vyerous
06/30/2009, 07:45 AM
I think I need to remove the pair. It just sucks because I don't have anywhere to put them right now. I've got another pair in the QT for my brothers tank and I'm trying to find a home for them but no one wants them right now.

Maybe I can coax the onyx clowns into my BTA and the percs just do their own thing, they haven't hosted anything and they usually hang out in one spot at the top of my tank.

Thanks for the advice =(