PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe to do

FMX
06/29/2009, 01:02 PM
Can you directly treat a reef tank with furan-2 as directed per the instructions on the box? It's inhabitants include three fish, snails, hermit crabs, assorted zoanthids and button polyps, and a tube annenome.

The treatment is for a fish with "popeye" and another that looks to have fin rot or some kind of fungus. Will everything else in the tank be okay as the fish are being treated? I've read that you can do furan dips for "zoa pox", so I assume the corals will be okay? What about the tube annenome and other inverts?

acrlee
06/29/2009, 11:36 PM
Furan-2 is an pretty strong anitbiotic right? Sounds like a bad idea if you want your biological filter intact. Could you remove your fish to a QT tank? If you can drain the water down to 2-4 " fish are very easy to catch.

Aqua Keepers
06/30/2009, 04:00 AM
I suggest treating all sick fish in a QT tank. You could use a Rubbermaid container if needed, but I like a clear container to observe the fish better. However, I have never used Furan-2.

FMX
06/30/2009, 03:08 PM
Is there any other treatments/products out there that I can use directly in the tank?

captivefrag
06/30/2009, 08:59 PM
You can also treat with Maracyn-Two in tank, which will also reduce cyanobacteria...

chrisstie
07/02/2009, 09:29 AM
You can use melafix and pimafix in a reef tank if you follow the directions there wont be any harm.

Plankt0s
07/03/2009, 12:23 AM
melafix and pimafix work sometimes and I have herd good things about ruby reef safe rally and kick ich.