PDA

View Full Version : Would, if and when would 1.009 salinity produce the same results as fresh water dip?

sikpupy
06/29/2009, 02:21 PM
I really do not like throwing a fish into plain fresh water, just not down with the idea even though it kills parasites just fine. I have also noticed that when I do a 1.009 hypo, I have killed off any of my stomatellas that were hiding. So, I was thinking, if they do not survive, I would doubt that anything touching water, i.e. flukes, ich and inverts, would survive? Can and would 1.009 be as effective as a fresh water dip, just maybe not as fast as 3 minutes of course?

maroun.c
06/29/2009, 03:05 PM
I would say both are not as efficient as a 6 weeks 1.009 hypo.
Remember a freshawater dip only kills parasites on the fish however the ones under the skin are still there and will soon show on their way out. long term hyposalinity (as well as freshwater dip) will kill ich at certain stages of it's life therefore it has to be maintained for more than one life cycel to make sure its effective. A freshwater will bring some instant relief for sure but isn't considered a total cure for ich.

GrimReefer82
06/29/2009, 04:40 PM
IMO a freshwater dip is a delicate thing. If the temp, ph and alk are not exactly the same as the DT it's risky and will probably do more harm than good.

sikpupy
06/29/2009, 06:13 PM
Yea, I know that they would need a 6 week treatment if I was going for an ich/fluke "cure". I was just wondering, hypotheticly (no pun intended?) if a salt bath of 1.009 would, some where in time, along the lines produce the same results as a 3-5 minute fresh water dip, AND, if so, how long in 1.009 = 5 minutes in fresh water.

GrimReefer82
06/29/2009, 09:04 PM
You cannot put a fish in FW long enough to have the same effect. The fish would be dead long before it would have the same effect as hypo.

Like maroun.c said it only provides short term relief for the fishes sake.

suta4242
06/29/2009, 09:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15277752#post15277752 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sikpupy
Yea, I know that they would need a 6 week treatment if I was going for an ich/fluke "cure". I was just wondering, hypotheticly (no pun intended?) if a salt bath of 1.009 would, some where in time, along the lines produce the same results as a 3-5 minute fresh water dip, AND, if so, how long in 1.009 = 5 minutes in fresh water.

What are you trying to achieve?

The stuff that falls of the skin during a FW dip eg certain flukes, oodinium etc... may not fall off during a dip where the water is just hyposaline (quick note: FW dip doesn't cure velvet).

A FW dip can be a useful proceedure in some instances when conducted properly, but I can't think of any instances where a 5 minute 1.009 dip is useful.:rolleyes:

GrimReefer82
06/29/2009, 09:53 PM
OH OK I see what you are asking now. And the answer is yes. hypo salinity will eventually kill everything that a FW dip would and more. Nothing but fish will survive in hypo. It probably wouldn't take but a day or 2 to kill inverts that aren't parasites. Ich will not die from hypo until it releases from the fish.