PDA

View Full Version : Lumenarc, Lumenbright, Lumenmax which one to get?

plancton
06/29/2009, 03:28 PM
Seems they have come out with a bunch of reflectors from the same company, lumenarcIII, Lumenbright, lumenmax2, lumenmax elite, etc. Which one is better and why?

ksc
06/29/2009, 04:07 PM
3 different companies, and you can add Hamilton's Cayman Sun into the mix. Which is best depends on your tank dimensions...

plancton
06/29/2009, 05:07 PM
oh so they are different companies?, ok so which one is better?

Nerdy Nudi
06/29/2009, 05:30 PM
Ive been keeping track and reading a bunch of threads regarding this same issue, to no avail. This is why.

First some basics. There are 3 major Reflectors loved by reefers that are made by 3 companies, and then they each have slight variations.(either design, size, and finish).

Lumen ARCS
Lumen MAX
Lumen Bright

For the most part, the reflector size will dictate the spread of light. Either concentrated into a smaller area, or a more even spread into a larger area. This is why youll get asked "what size tank you have?"

Luckily there is a very nice, and technical, review done by Sanjay Joshi:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/review

There is one problem though... there is no data for the lumen max 2 and 3 (same reflector, with different sockets).

Although smaller, their design is slightly different. I have yet to find how this affects light output. Whether they will produce a more focused beam in a tighter space than an elite, or an even yet intense spread in the same tight space (ie spotlight vs t5 even brightness).

If you find some new info, please share :)

plancton
06/29/2009, 10:59 PM
Interesting, I liked the results on the Lumenmax elite.

salty316
06/29/2009, 11:54 PM
Your set up should dictate the reflector. Narrow tank = narrow/focused reflector, broad tank = wider/dispersed reflector. Those you have listed are all good quality.

Nerdy Nudi
06/30/2009, 12:23 AM
Some new info, spoke to a bud who called a well known dealer who said the lumen max 2/3, though smaller, actually spreads the light out more than the elite. So for a smaller area, like a 2x2 or similar cube, the elite is still the best bet for the most intesity in that area, eventhough it is larger.

This is due to the design of the reflector and the angle of its facets.

plancton
07/01/2009, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I think the Elite is what I´m getting.

DarG
07/01/2009, 07:37 AM
From most of the posts I read, popular opinion seems to be that the best reflector is the one which creates the highest peak par in the hot spot ... :D

Not very helpful but I couldnt resist.

GhostCon1
07/13/2010, 01:36 PM
Over a year ago this was posted but I would like to thank Nerdy Nudi for posting that link, I have finally chosen which reflector to get because of it.

Seeing the specs of the 3 I was hung up about helped a lot :)

I hope they are still around to see this thanks.

cobra9
07/13/2010, 02:11 PM
The elite is a great reflector for deep tanks but has very very poor spread. It covers about 20inches by 20 inches. Obviously if you raise it up you get a slightly better spread.

I have 2 over my 150 which is 60x30x20 and even with the reflectors raised up 16 inches off the water im only getting about 24x24 coverage.

GhostCon1
07/13/2010, 02:19 PM
That's fine, is your's the 14.5x14.5x5 one? I assume so, but then there is the HQI which is smaller (and I don't know the difference other than name and dimensions).

My new tank is actually 29x29x18 and BRS says it's perfect for 2'x2' to 30"x30" tanks; also, I will not be having corals all the way out to the sides ;)

cobra9
07/13/2010, 02:24 PM
Mine is HQI and is 15x15. And I disagree with BRS. I would say its perfect for lighting a area of 20x20 up to 24x24.

So if you have a 30x30 or simlar and want the light to only be intense in the middle it will work great for you. But no one should expect good 30x30 coverage.

swanny
07/13/2010, 02:28 PM
I have 2 elite's over a 120g 4x2x2 and they work perfectly. I have them with 14k 250w phoenix' about 12" above tank, good spread, great coral growth.

sminker
07/13/2010, 08:18 PM
I've got 2 elites over a 180 and my coverage is perfect. They are 20" above the water.

gmatta
07/14/2010, 04:06 PM
swanny when u say 12" thats the bulb not the bottom of reflector correct?

DarG
07/14/2010, 06:42 PM
That's fine, is your's the 14.5x14.5x5 one? I assume so, but then there is the HQI which is smaller (and I don't know the difference other than name and dimensions).

My new tank is actually 29x29x18 and BRS says it's perfect for 2'x2' to 30"x30" tanks; also, I will not be having corals all the way out to the sides ;)

The II is for mogul lamps. It's 11.5 wide X about 15" long. The III is HQI (double ended lamps). It's 11.5" wide by 11.5" long. The reflector is exactly the same size on both. The II is longer to accomodate the Mogul socket assembly which is also adjustable. The Elite is the larger pendant with a bit different reflector design as mentioned by others ... available both for DE and SE lamps if memory serves.

JAustin
07/14/2010, 07:26 PM
I've got two Luminbright pendants large kind over my 4' 120g. Great spread and very bright!

Coralvue is a very good company and their products are outstanding.

ganjero
07/14/2010, 08:06 PM
I've got two Luminbright pendants large kind over my 4' 120g. Great spread and very bright!

Coralvue is a very good company and their products are outstanding.

Coralvue used to build the lumenarcs for lumenarc lighting, but they got greedy and started selling them on their own, the got in trouble for that. Then they made their own reflector, the lumenbrights, which I think for MH are the best. You can place them very high, maintaining good PAR numbers and losing the chillers since it becomes easier to control the heat transfer.

DarG
07/15/2010, 10:38 AM
Just for the record, the Lumenmax pendants including the elite are a Sunlight Supply product. They also make the smaller Reef Optix pendants which arent symmetrical reflectors like the others and are optimized for a bit smaller coverage areas. These are not related to Coralvue and and/or the Lumenarcs/Lumenbrights. I'm sure that most of you know this but for those tuning in late and/or looking for what to buy it may be helpful.

Also ... some of the different pendant models are optimized for different applications. In other words, some are meant to be mounted higher than others or optimized for larger or smaller coverage areas.

All the pendants mentioned above are very good performers, among the best for the aquarium industry. Excellent performance can be achieved with any of them as long as you are choosing an appropriate model for your application, regardless of which of the two brands you choose.

Rickyrooz1
07/15/2010, 11:10 PM
What is the coverage area for the LB large raised 12" above the water?

GhostCon1
07/16/2010, 05:38 AM

I believe the link details this.

DarG
07/16/2010, 09:18 AM

Check the link as suggested. But from memory, the LB and LM Elite both have a more focused spread than the Lumearc or Lumemax reflectors. It allows them to be mounted higher without losing as much intensity or to even use lower wattage lamps. Not everyone can feasibly mount a pendant high above the tank. If mounted lower, the spread isnt as wide as the LM or LA reflectors at the same mounting distance but the light is more focused with higher intensity. You have to take the entire system including the corals you are keeping into consideration to make the best choice. You CAN have too much intensity so looking for the highest peak par values is not the best way to choose a reflector.