PDA

View Full Version : Should I Wet Test My Set Up ????

Reefer2727
06/29/2009, 07:39 PM
The plumbing on my tank is finally done. Now, I will be moving at the end of July so the set up is sitting in my garage. I have glued all the plumbing except for the T's that come off of the drain bulkheads. I dont want to glue these yet as it will be a pain to move.

Could I still give this a freshwater test run without everything glued? The entire return (pressure) line is glued. Just the top of the drains that are dry fitted.

Does anyone know if this is a good idea? Has anyone done this before?

The tank is in the garage so getting a floor wet is not a concern. Only problem in the garage is the incredibly unlevel floor which will be a shimming nightmare.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Toddrtrex
06/29/2009, 07:43 PM
I would wait until you move -- for the shimming nightmare, and to double check that none of the joints came loose during the move. I doubt that would happen. But it would be a shame to wet test it now, move, set it up in its final spot, and then find out that a leak formed because of the move.

spleify
06/29/2009, 07:47 PM
Good point Todd.

sanababit
06/29/2009, 07:48 PM
if its 75 gal i wouldnt worry to much about it, now if its 200 or more then thats another story, this is what i did, i installed the tank, it is an inwall and i filled it with fresh-purified water, and let it sit for 24 hours, if i saw no leaks then i went ahead and finish the installation and put salt in the water to mix, IMO its less of a pain if fresh water gets on the floor than saltwater..

sana

Reefer2727
06/29/2009, 10:09 PM
I understand that it is probably not the greatest idea to give it a run in the garage. Looks like I may have to wait until I move.

I want to test it more to see how it runs than to leak test it. I recently had an overflow box put on it and installed the Bean Animal drain system on it. I also built a sump and am totally curious how this thing is going to run.

Im not sure that I am going to be able to keep this thing dry until after the move!!!