PDA

View Full Version : web cam

elahav
06/29/2009, 10:05 PM
I am looking for a nice reasonable quality/price “web camera” to combine with data of the AC3. Anyone can recommend for a good cam? It will look at the tank and view it with reasonable details. Its definitely should be connect to the web (with IP)
Any recommendation will be helpful.

laverda
06/30/2009, 01:06 AM
They are not cheap($700-900), but from what I have seen the Panasonic KX-HCM280 Network Camera with pan, tilt and zoom is the best. Sadly it is out of my budget.

ah30k
06/30/2009, 06:13 AM
I've never seen a sub-$200 IP-based camera with any good video quality. I hope someone here can suggest one.

RussM
06/30/2009, 07:03 AM
Hi, Effie!

The Linksys WVC54GCA has better-than-average video quality among the low-cost network cameras... about $100. You can see two in use on my website (click the red house). It is easy to set up to embed the video stream in a web site, and works with any browser.

I recently worked with a fellow reefer to help him get his AC3s and camera online, and was fairly impressed with the video quality on his camera (Trendnet TV-IP422W) Cost is about $250. I have not set up a web page for it yet, but I've researched it, and that functionality is available.

Newer Panasonic "PetCams" have good quality, support integration of the video stream into web sites, but are a bit pricier... the BL-C131A is about $300.

Avoid D-Links and Vivotek models... they have crappy software, and only support use with Internet Explorer, which is a consideration when the intent is to put the video online, since more and more people use Firefox, Safari, Chrome, or other browsers.

rsuplido
06/30/2009, 07:06 AM
I'll be out for a week and decided to get a Wowwee Rovio robot to monitor my tank and topoff. I got it at eCost for less than $200. It supports pc, mac, and the iPhone.

It should arrive today. I hope it would work well.

ah30k
06/30/2009, 07:12 AM
Russ, I don't see your webcam in your website. Your little red house just sends me to the reeftronics site with your graphs and data.

RussM
06/30/2009, 07:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15280127#post15280127 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ah30k
Russ, I don't see your webcam in your website. Your little red house just sends me to the reeftronics site with your graphs and data.

There are two links on the left panel for ReefCams. One apparently is offline at the moment. The Dave's Reef ReefCam is online. Dave runs his lights in the afternoon & evening Pacific time, so the best time to check it out would be later in the day for you.

So where are you at in SE PA? I'm a Bucks County native, transplanted to CA.