PDA

View Full Version : Dips for softies/lps/sps?

1DeR9_3Hy
06/30/2009, 09:38 AM
I am looking for a thread/article/someone knowledgeable that could outline which corals are commonly dipped and what they are dipped in. I am nearing the setup time for my new tank, and i want to hammer out all the details for stocking the new tank to avoid all the possible pests out their.

Example:
I know zoas/palys can be dipped in FW with success, but what about acans and lobos? What other kinds of dips can zoas/palys be used with?

IslandCrow
06/30/2009, 11:17 AM
I'm afraid I don't know of any articles, but I dipped all of my SPS and LPS in Kent Tech D. Exactly which nasties it would and would not kill, I cannot be absolutely certain. It seems to do a very good job on flatworms, though. It says on the bottle that it shouldn't be use for certain soft corals, but doesn't state which ones. I'm sure others will have more information on the subject, though.

1DeR9_3Hy
06/30/2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks crow :)

I dont think softies are as much a concern as are the lps/sps because its hard to find a super expensive softie (other than zoas/palys, but like i said...FW and iodine are a cure all).

I want to avoid every occurrence of these nasty little AEFW, monti nudis and other critters that i can so my tank will be trouble free and as stress free as possible.

1DeR9_3Hy
07/01/2009, 06:18 AM
bump!

So what does everyone dip their newest corals in? Does one dip cover everything i need to worry about? How real of a concern are red bugs? Whats a good dip for acans/lobos/euphyllia?

K' Family Reef
07/01/2009, 08:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15281541#post15281541 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 1DeR9_3Hy

I want to avoid every occurrence of these nasty little AEFW, monti nudis and other critters that i can so my tank will be trouble free and as stress free as possible.

dipping is one thing
and QT is another (imo)... if one wants to avoid "every occurrence" then imo a proper QT procedure has to go along w/ whatever dipping procedures are in place... just bec some corals might be less of a concern then others... doesnt mean that there are not a lot of 'pests' that can still come in w/ the liverock/substrate its attached to etc etc... imo it does a reefer good (novice/veteran reefers alike) to learn all they can about pests first... its not until 'hindsight' that a reefer ever wishes they would have learned more about all the different types of pests that can make it into our systems... so even after dipping then keeping something in QT for as long as possible for 'observation' (couple weeks minimum imo) to make sure nothing else is coming along for the ride...

once bitten twice shy!

regards

rigleautomotive
07/01/2009, 08:29 AM
TLF Coral Revive is what i use and its been very effective on all corals

rigleautomotive
07/01/2009, 08:41 AM
here is a link to a thread with the owner of TLF Julian Sprung chiming in about the dip.the thread talks about red bugs but theres some info in there about the dip in general

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1632731

vyerous
07/01/2009, 08:46 AM
Revive is great but I have heard it won't kill red bugs, even though the owner says it will. Either way its all I use, sometimes a FW dip.

bimmer01
07/01/2009, 10:10 AM
Same, I always dip both Salifert Flatworm exit and Coral Revive on all new frags I purchase.

IslandCrow
07/01/2009, 04:18 PM
There are very few things that will kill red bugs (and not kill the coral), and I don't think any of them are commercial aquarium products. Quarantine is always a good idea, and something I know I should really be doing.

Macimage
07/01/2009, 06:53 PM
TLF Coral Revive, Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure (TMPCC) and Interceptor are all used with success. You can use the RC search button and find lots of threads about any of them.

Joyce

1DeR9_3Hy
07/01/2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys, thats a good read on the revive :) I know someone who has not added anything new to his system in about 6 months, he says his is pest free. I tend to beleive him. Would 6 months be long enough to see if he had pest in his tank?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15290049#post15290049 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Macimage
TLF Coral Revive, Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure (TMPCC) and Interceptor are all used with success. You can use the RC search button and find lots of threads about any of them.

Joyce

Also without knowing the names of dips, very few search results yield anything useful to me. I was searching using google (SITE operator), so im certain I searched well.