PDA

View Full Version : live rock in a new tank?

zach jay
06/30/2009, 11:25 AM
right now i'm cycling my new 20g. i have a small piece of live rock that has been in another system for the past couple months. however, i have a bucket of about 15 pounds of dry rock. i've put about 7 pounds in the sump and another couple pounds into my established system. i figure it'll become "live" quicker than if i leave it in the 20g (which just has that one piece, some "dry rock", and 20lbs live sand / 10lbs not live sand combo). i'm pretty much just looking to cycle this guy faster and because i have another 2 tanks set up, using established rock/sand should help?

correct me if i'm wrong or point me in a better direction! the 2 tanks i have up now have been set up using a lot of patience and i know this one will too, but if i can legitimately skip a few days due to these other tanks, it wouldn't hurt. thanks!

1DeR9_3Hy
06/30/2009, 11:29 AM
Using established rock/sand will often eliminate a cycle in a new tank.

You must still be mindful and test your amm/no2/no3 levels for the first couple weeks until you feel certain you will not get a cycle.

zach jay
06/30/2009, 12:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15281560#post15281560 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 1DeR9_3Hy
Using established rock/sand will often eliminate a cycle in a new tank.

You must still be mindful and test your amm/no2/no3 levels for the first couple weeks until you feel certain you will not get a cycle.

yeah, i know using established stuff will help, but should i put my dry rock into the established tank for a few days in order to jumpstart that rock? or just throw the dry rock straight into the cycling 20?