PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

Fishycreations1
06/30/2009, 12:41 PM
So I currently have a 55 gallon that I kind of havent been putting any love into it and now I'm comin back. By not not caring for it I havent done a water change in a few months and the water level is about 4-5 inches from the top rim. At the same time I'm down grading the tank. To some it wouldn't make since to down grade but its taking up more space than i thought it would when i origianally did my upgrade to the 55. So where should i go from here?

Nitrate: 20ppm
Nitrite:0
Ammonia:0
pH: 7.8

patsfan1130
06/30/2009, 12:44 PM
Pardon me for saying but I cannot make any sense of this post. What is your question exactly?

Rich D
06/30/2009, 12:49 PM
a 20% water change sounds like a good idea to me. You might want to check your salinity. We could use some more info, is it a reef tank? whats in it? has anything died? its hard to understand what your trying to ask.

Fishycreations1
06/30/2009, 01:07 PM
ok since im doing the whole downgrade thing will it affect anything more. The new tank size is only a 30, so I wont need a lot of water from the current tank. But i didnt know if i should correct the current issues in the tank before the switch.

55 gallon 56lbs of live rock

2 Ocellaris clowns
Purple Firefish
Yellow watchman
2 yellow Chromis
Cleaner shrimp
Peppermint shrimp
Cleaner crew
hermits, snails, starfish

Anemone, few zooanthids, mushrooms

Deaths: Feather duster, blasto, bubble anemone, cherub angel

Well i used to work at a fish store so i always just brought my water to work and tested it well since i havent worked there(3 months) it hasnt been tested or had a water change. and unfortunatly i dont know the salinity have to go buy the tester later on today. I guess my question is if i just change everything over will it make things worse?

jb61264
06/30/2009, 01:16 PM
If you have all of those things doing ok in your water as it is now, its probably safe to assume that your water quality isn't too bad (I see you have two anenome's). Probably the best thing to do would be do a 20% water change as bubbles suggested...get your salinity at a good level in the 55. Then on moving just use the existing water.

Does your 55 have sand? will you be using sand in the 30? If so, getting new sand for the 30 may be in order depending upon how old the stuff is in your 55.

Fishycreations1
06/30/2009, 01:25 PM
Now being that the tank is low on water is a 20% water change still a good idea to do. I had 2 anemones the bubble i assume is dead. It moved constantly and i havent seen it in the past month. Yes the 55 has sand. The tank was set up last August, it was originally a 22 cube. So All the rock and sand that was in there was just put into the 55 which was changed in like march. i then added 2 25lb bags of sand so is that considered old?

Fishycreations1
06/30/2009, 03:36 PM
so any other input please?

Macimage
06/30/2009, 04:58 PM
You should test your salinity. If your water level is down 4-5" from the top, it probably needs top off water. I would recommend adjusting or adding it over a few days.

I would set up the new tank with 1/2 of the aged water from your old tank and 1/2 new saltwater.

Good luck!
Joyce