PDA

View Full Version : two part question

Spartanman22
06/30/2009, 01:22 PM
How often do you dose two part solutions? Everyday or every other day?

walkthedog
06/30/2009, 01:37 PM
Depends on your tank needs. The more demanding tanks will need to be dosed at least once a day to maintain levels. If you don't have a large amount of SPS then you could get by with every other or so. If you just have soft corals or a few LPS then just doing your water changes will more than likely be enough to maintain your Cal and Alk levels. The key is find out your demand then match your dosing to that. Remember as you add things or as the corals grow your demand will more than likely increase.

Spartanman22
06/30/2009, 01:53 PM
will dosing two part provide a significant increase in growth? I have had a few sps frags and colonies that have had no growth or very little growth in almost a full year. And some have started to lose tissue. Will dosing two part help bring back some of the sps and provide decent growth?

walkthedog
06/30/2009, 02:35 PM
The key to SPS is having everything stable. Flow, light, CA, ALK. Mag. Don't let things swing to much. Shoot for a tight range and keep it there. For example if you want to keep your CA at 450 then shoot for it but understand that 440 - 470 is ok. You will drive your self nuts trying to stay right at 450. I believe Flow is the most overlooked part to keeping SPS happy. They love lots of Random flow. We would need to know more about your tank to help you out more. If your doing water changes and only have a few corals I would say that dosing 2 part is not what you are missing. Need to know more about the tank.