PDA

View Full Version : How to calculate dosing

balloonpilot
06/30/2009, 01:42 PM
My normal routine has been that when I do water changes, I use Seachem Buffer and get the pH/Alk up to were I want them (Alk usually is around 10.5) before doing the water change.

I'd like to establish a more stable ph/Alk balance in the tank and considering dosing Kalk. I've created a batch using the Kalk product label and let it sit for several days until stuff formed at the bottom and the fluid ontop is almost clear.

So the question is / are:
1) Do I continue to mix my water change water with buffer to get the ph/Alk up or do I rely on the saturated Kalk water for that?

2) I've read that I want to add Kalk at the same rate my tank is evaporating water, okay. But what if the batch of Kalk is too high of Alk or pH ?

Should I be making my batches of Kalk differently than the directions (making a less potent batch)...

Whats the balance of amount of buffer vs amount of Kalk used?

HighlandReefer
06/30/2009, 03:40 PM
Normally you do not need to adjust your alk level of your water change mix.

It is usually recommended to mix kalk water at 1 teaspoon of kalk to 1 gallon of rodi water to start with and use this as your top-off water. You can add up to 2 teaspoons of kalk per 1 gallon of rodi water which is maxed out (no more kalk will disolve in one gallon of rodi water).

balloonpilot
06/30/2009, 03:44 PM
Last time I made a batch of "change water" using RO/DI and Seachem Reef Salt - the Alk came out to just over 8dk/h in the bucket before adding to tank so I ended up adding buffer...

Is this not what i should be doing?

HighlandReefer
06/30/2009, 03:53 PM
45 fluid oz. of saturated kalk water (2 teaspoons per 1 ga. rodi) will raise 20 gallons of tank water 1 dKH.

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

HighlandReefer
06/30/2009, 03:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15283068#post15283068 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by balloonpilot
Last time I made a batch of "change water" using RO/DI and Seachem Reef Salt - the Alk came out to just over 8dk/h in the bucket before adding to tank so I ended up adding buffer...

Is this not what i should be doing?

The drop in alk. in your actual tank will be minimal after a water change using your mix. The problem with adding alk. supplements to water change salt mix is that you can get a lot of calcium carbonate precipitation from elevated pH. It is better to increase alk. in your DT water if necessary.

balloonpilot
06/30/2009, 03:59 PM
So just mix salt as I've been doing, perform water change, and test. Then buffer to pH and Alk are where I want them and THEN setup dosing of Kalk based on my evaporation rate... Is this the way to do this?

HighlandReefer
06/30/2009, 04:04 PM
Depending on your salt mix, if it is low in calcium and magnesium, you may need to bump them up in your salt mix. I would not adjust for pH, but just alk. to the desired level. Usually you do not need to adjust your alk., even if it is low in your salt mix, after a water change.