PDA

View Full Version : Orange Ball Anemone

DLANDINO
06/30/2009, 02:15 PM
I have a few orange ball anemones on my rock work and they are quite beautiful in their own right so I have always left them alone to be part of the natural beauty of my reef. Last night after dark I was inspecting the tank under moonlights and saw one of those little buggers capture a Florida cerith snail, shell it, eat it and then drop the shell. Upon closer inspection there are a few other empty shells under this guys rock perch. There are no other predators in the tank, like hermits or crabs so I am wondering if these guys should be killed. Many I see I can't reach but this one I know I can get. What does everyone else do with theirs?

dendronepthya
06/30/2009, 02:36 PM
They belong in a species tank. They are very good at killing ANYTHING that comes their way. They are incredibly sticky and strong. Once they get large enough, you can expect to lose fish.

dalston
06/30/2009, 03:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15282594#post15282594 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dendronepthya
They belong in a species tank. They are very good at killing ANYTHING that comes their way. They are incredibly sticky and strong. Once they get large enough, you can expect to lose fish.

Iv'e never heard of this before. Despite the name the orange ball 'anemone' they are actually part of the mushroom family. I would make sure that it is actually a pseudocornactis (sp?) that you have and not something else.