5 in vlamingi dead
4in male female lamarks dead
4 in lawnmower blenny dead
2 in swallowtail female dead
5 in male wantanabi dead
3 in sargassm trigger dead
5in midas blenny dead
10 other small fish dead
(2) false percs i bought as a nivelty item for my neice and nephew doing great nothing wrong with them :rolleye1:

#1 suspect, cologne

all corals are ok im running poly filters right now and did a huge water change with another one coming up shortly

lesson ALWAYS WASH HAND IF YOU TOUCH TANK WATER OR WATER
THAT WILL GO INTO THE TANK

ok now heres the bright side i had 2 zebramosas very mean a 6 line wrasse very mean limiting me from what i can keep, so now im going to go with the peaceful fish that ive allways wanted, im sticking to a regal angel genucanthus angels and other cool but shy fish.
now i have in mind

a PB around 3-5 in
a regal angel aorund 2-5 in
copperband butterfly 3-5 in
i want to try an angel like the vantuesu (huge spelling error) or like a rock beauty, because with the regal being somewhat shy and passive i think if i can get one of those to addapt, i should be ok as far as aggression, or i might just go with a pair of jocs. angels
im VERY open to sugggestions as to cool peacfulfish

Can u guys help me put together a ADD IN ORDER OF list for the fish above?

thanks

mounts327
06/30/2009, 03:16 PM
I have a hard time believing it was cologne on your hand/wrist that caused 20 fish deaths, esp in a tank that size.
I would look for other factors ay which caused this.

Peter Eichler
06/30/2009, 03:17 PM
Highly highly doubtful this had anything to do with cologne. If it happened over night I'd suspect a PH crash. Though it could be any number of things, and without knowing more about your system it's difficult to speculate.

mdrc
06/30/2009, 03:25 PM
wouldnt ph harm corals?
im thinking that or vodka i upped the dosage a day ago, or maybe some sort of contaminate, i chack all the param, everything is fine temp was around 77 when i woke up, the mh lights had been on since 11 so 2 hours, could it bee a temp drop?

JustinReef
06/30/2009, 03:27 PM
A few weeks back my fiancee was spraying perfume about a foot away from my 34G tank (she forgot) and I know for a fact some must have gotten into the tank because there is also a ceiling fan above the tank. She felt terrible but nothing died and nothing even ever looked bad. I have also accidentally put my hands in the tank after putting cream on them and also never had problems. Not that its a good idea but I agree with the others, I highly doubt it was the cologne.

I would seriously look into things and try to figure it out before you start adding anything to that tank again.

Stanley-Reefer
06/30/2009, 03:36 PM
heater intact?

mdrc
06/30/2009, 03:37 PM
well i cant think of anything can a 5 ml increase in vodka do anything thats the only thing i changed
ph was a lil low at 7.9 but thats the average when i check it in the morning
every other paramiter was fine
umm i did have a probleme with stray voltage about 2 days ago and had to unplug my skimmer pump but othr that that i cant think of anything that has changd or would of caused this

mdrc
06/30/2009, 03:38 PM
heaters in the sump but would that cause anything? ill go check

Peter Eichler
06/30/2009, 03:57 PM
So you upped your vodka dosage by 5ml and turned your skimmer off??? Sorry, but I'd suspect you suffocated your fish and there's a good chance your PH dropped as well over night not helping matters. That type of vodka dose will drop oxygen levels by quite a bit, especially with no skimmer running.

kybreos
06/30/2009, 03:58 PM
your tank was overstocked as well, im surprised no one else said anything. i have a 180 and i couldnt imagine 20 fish with almost half of them being large getting stuffed into my tank. you might have had a cycle collapse, your ammonia, nitrite etc..

mr pink floyd
06/30/2009, 03:59 PM
the vodka did it, the cloudiness sounds like a bacterial bloom. this is commonly caused by overdosing vodka or sugar. the bacteria grow so fast into such high numbers they strip the water of oxygen, suffocating the fish

Alaskan Reefer
06/30/2009, 04:06 PM
+1 on vodka dosing without a skimmer running suffocating the fish, especially in such a heavily stocked system.

mdrc
06/30/2009, 04:10 PM
wow i feel like an ***, thank you so much for the help what can i do to get the tank back? and as far as over stocking i have a nitrate reactor and got 40% water changes weekly to compensate for the overcrowdedness parmiters wasnt the prob.
thanks so much for your help

Shane Hoffman
06/30/2009, 04:19 PM
Im sorry for your loss. Big dollars.....but yes from the evidence at hand vodka dose being raised is the obvious thing. Please read Melevs instructions on dosing vodka. Your only supposed to raise the dose .5 mil not 5 mil..........

Alaskan Reefer
06/30/2009, 04:19 PM
The bacteria bloom should clean up nicely with carbon and a little time. Just make sure going forward if you're going to be turbocharging your bacteria with vodka dosing to keep the water oxygenated while doing so. It sounds like you have a husbandry scheme that will support your heavy stocking -- 40% changes weekly is awesome and supported by a nitrate reactor. Sorry for the losses, what a drag -- looks like a good opportunity to upgrade your skimmer. :) :) :)

mdrc
06/30/2009, 04:23 PM
oh ok well ya i just wanted to try it cause the claims made corals look great an so fourth, but thanks, and i was about to cause when i got it all i heard was euro reef and it 3 years theres so much more and better skimmers ut there in thinking if i can find a local place thatll carry them a bk cone, they sound like heavy duty work horses. thats for your help every body

mdrc
06/30/2009, 04:28 PM
will my corals be fine? do i need to turn my skimmer on?

Alaskan Reefer
06/30/2009, 04:38 PM
What kind of pump is failing on your Euroreef? My CS-180 is about 6 years old, and at the 5 year mark the Sedra it came with melted down. The replacement pump sold through Euroreef, a pinwheel Eheim 1262, is amazing, the skimmer performs better than it ever did now. I wouldn't replace that skimmer without investigating just getting a new pump. Yes the cone shape seems to help a bit with skimming, but at the end of the day these are just acrylic bubble chambers whose performance is more based on the pump. The Euroreef skimmer body is seriously well built, and the Eheim 1262 is a time tested amazing pump...

Mpthreer
06/30/2009, 04:42 PM
I always wondered about cologne and stuff, because My water mixing barrel is in my roomates bathroom because I am totally out of room in this dang apt hahah... It takes my slow ro unit a long time to fill it up so it sits in there open with a powerhead running in it. In fear of my roomates cologne spraying I put a thick doubled over towel over the top of the barrel. I hope this is enough to keep the contaminates out.

mdrc
06/30/2009, 04:43 PM
ya same just stock sedra, i dont know whats wrong with it but it leaks voltage, and i was thinking about that but i wonder how they would work on the rs 250? id have to get 2 and thats around 300 so cheaper that a bk cone i think ill try that

Macimage
06/30/2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by mdrc
..and as far as over stocking i have a nitrate reactor and got 40% water changes weekly to compensate for the overcrowdedness...

Even though you do large water changes and have the nitrate reactor, the overcrowding is not a good idea. Overcrowding is similar to having 10 people living in one bedroom. Sure you can clean it weekly so that the parameters are great, but your fish really need more room.

Good luck with your restocking.

downhillbiker
06/30/2009, 04:55 PM
sounds like your vodka increase and skimmer being off caused a bacterial bloom. if temp rose at all, then that would speed up the process. once bacteria bloomed your water went anaerobic. the least efficient breathers died, this would usually be corals (but yours are ok?), and inverts like shrimp and crabs. once they died the bacteria had more to feed on, so bloomed more, and the water became increasingly toxic with all dying material. this caused the rest to die. fish and anything else left.

i am so sorry this happened, but i too have had bad experiences with bacterial blooms, and this sounds exactly like what this is. if this ever happens again, or happens to anyone else, you need to get AS MUCH AIR AS POSSIBLE in the water. skimmers on, air pumps on, any powerheads with air ports open. the water will start to clear up and the livestock will be able to breath throughout the process.

blennymower
06/30/2009, 05:07 PM
Talk about some awesome investigating by reefcentral members. Problem identified....problem solved!

Alaskan Reefer
06/30/2009, 05:12 PM
I would definitely investigate a pair of the Eheim 1262 pinwheels on a RS-250. I'm excited just thinking about it.

mdrc
06/30/2009, 05:28 PM
ya i want to see what this baby can do with those, cause its skimmed ok but not that good. and yes defanitlly probleme identified and solved, and with the "new" sytem im going with passive fish so my fish load is going to be really low, like 10 anthias a regal angel copperband bd and a pair of jocs. angels maybe, with some cromis so space woulnt be an issue.
THANK YOU SO MUH EVERYBODY FOR YOUR HELP

romsoccer12
06/30/2009, 05:33 PM
that sucks man =/

mdrc
06/30/2009, 05:39 PM
any one see those v8 commercials where somebody slpps them in the head, i feel like that would be approprate right now

Rich D
06/30/2009, 06:25 PM
that is a lot of fish, when you restock the tank I would highly suggest not putting so many in. An itch outbreak would spread like crazy if it were to be introduced with that many fish in the system. sorry about your loss

mdrc
06/30/2009, 08:08 PM
i said above i was going to keep stocking low and go with a peaceful tank. ich was never that much of a problem i had hardy fish. and thank

Henry Bowman
06/30/2009, 08:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15283143#post15283143 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr pink floyd
the vodka did it, the cloudiness sounds like a bacterial bloom. this is commonly caused by overdosing vodka or sugar. the bacteria grow so fast into such high numbers they strip the water of oxygen, suffocating the fish

another vote for Vodka OD. Cloudy due to bacteria bloom. They consume all the O2 in the tank.

Sorry for your loss.

r-balljunkie
06/30/2009, 08:38 PM
you might want to think about going small in your next lineup. i ditched all my tangs and larger fish, never looked back. i really enjoy my fishes personalities, nothing too boisterous, more peaceful now.

current lineup:

4 bluestreak cardinals
2 reg. clownfish
2 naked clownfish
3 borbonius anthias
1 mystery wrasse
1 six line wrasse
1 misc wrasse (unidentified)
1 Orange Diamond Goby

might seem like allot of fish, but all average 1 3/4" to 2"

best of luck on the restock.

c

mdrc
07/01/2009, 12:00 AM
r-ball ya im leaning that way with maybe 3 medium fish and alot of anthias and other small misc. fish