PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if I remove my rock

d_icemand
06/30/2009, 05:16 PM
I have a mixed reef tank with a bunch of fish. Its been established for a couple of years now and doing great. I got a problem with Anthalia taking over though, and its on the base rocks. My only fix is to take the infected rock out and remove it or replace the rock. I don't have any more cured rock to go back in. So what would happen to corals and fish if a Majority of the rock was removed over a month or so worth of time???? I could make the process even longer if it saves my fish and good corals. Once the Anthalia is removed from the rock, I would put it back in. I was planning on baking the rock in the back yard so this does not happen again. What are some thoughts.

dave

d_icemand
07/01/2009, 07:54 PM
I have pics in my gallery. No one has comments?

fewskillz
07/01/2009, 08:02 PM
I don't think it would hurt anything. Maybe lighten up on your feedings a little and up your water changes during the decreased rock time.

Could you get a hold of some good clean base-rock to substitute in one at a time as you remove a rock? That might help too.

reidcrandall
07/01/2009, 08:02 PM
There would be die off on the new rock, and you would lose a lot of your de nitrification for a bit, because the rocks that you took out would no longer be in there to do it for you, and the new die off from the new rock will add more ammonia, etc (additional to that coming from the fish waste) to the tank fo a while. I would get the new rock and let it cycle in a stock tank for 8 weeks or so before adding it if you must take the rock out.

If you put the rocks in there straight, I would definately recommend daily water changes.

mcoomer
07/02/2009, 08:36 AM
Tell us something about your tank, like the size, current water parameters, and inhabitants. Without knowing more I'd be hesitant to recommend pulling all your rock to cook it. I would recommend doing it in batches, maybe 1/3 of your rock at a time. Also, there's a thread on here somewhere about cooking the rock in a dark container with circulation that you should try to find. It will take longer than leaving it in the backyard to dry but will yield a better finished product.

d_icemand
07/03/2009, 11:30 AM
I have a 65RR tank with a 20 gallon sump. I have 9 fish (dont freak out---they are small). I do have a huge bioload but the skimmer works great. I have taken one big piece out already about 3 weeks ago and its ready to go back in (not cured now, its all dried up). I did that to clean out one side of the tank so that some of the rock will be transferred over there. Not all the rock will be taken out---about 75% of it. I have some rock in the sump that will be moved up into the display tank for the time being. I am more worried about the fish. I think the corals should be ok, probably end up with a lot of little frags! My main concern will be not disturbing the sand and hurting my environment.