PDA

View Full Version : Removing sand with livestock still in tank?

hops523
06/30/2009, 05:47 PM
So Ive been selling the livestock in my tank, and someone wants to buy the live sand I have. The problem is there are still more coral and fish in my tank. Im wondering if there is a way that I can remove the live sand without harming the fish and coral?
Thanks

Ben_Im
06/30/2009, 05:54 PM
Do it in small portions multiple times a day. I would just get a cup and slowly scoop up sand until the water began to get a little hazy. Then I'd stop, let it settle, then do it again. On my 29 gallon, it only took 3-4 hours, most of which was spent waiting for the debris to settle.

You could also siphon some sand out depending on how coarse it is. That probably won't make as much a mess as far as floating debris.

mcoomer
06/30/2009, 07:37 PM
Just siphon it out. I decided to go BB so I picked up a length of hose long enough to reach the bottom of the tank and just ran it to a 5 gallon bucket. You can reuse the water if you want or put some new saltwater in the tank.

sld123
07/01/2009, 11:50 AM
yeah just siphon it out and reuse the water i did it on my 65 when you put the water back run it through a filter sock

Macimage
07/01/2009, 07:03 PM
If you have a deep sand bed, removing it may release gases that could kill your fish.

fewskillz
07/01/2009, 07:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15290100#post15290100 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Macimage
If you have a deep sand bed, removing it may release gases that could kill your fish.

This is the important question.

If it's a DSB then you're probably going to have to empty your tank's inhabitants into something else, remove the sand, then re-setup the tank. We had to do this to remove the DSB from my friend's 50 breeder.

If it's 2" or so then you'll be fine just using a siphon.

mcoomer
07/02/2009, 08:42 AM
I know that experiences may vary, but when I removed my sandbed it was 4-5". I pulled it out with a siphon over a period of weeks with all inhabitants in the tank. I pulled most of the sand out of one area before moving to another so that now I only have a light dusting of sand remaining. I think your tanks inhabitants will be OK as long as you take it nice and slow.

topherc84
07/02/2009, 10:53 AM
^^+1, I just did the exact same thing. siphon slowly.