PDA

View Full Version : What soft corals should I NOT keep with SPS/LPS?

blennymower
06/30/2009, 06:38 PM
I'm just getting my tank up and running. I have a two-part mixed and some test kits on the way. I currently have an anemone and one soft coral (which I think is a spaghetti finger leather).

I have some SPS and zoanthid frags coming and I want to know what to keep along with SPS corals and what NOT to keep.

And im referring to other corals, not Fish.

In other words I want to avoid chemical warfare so that I don't have to my hair out when an SPS is doing bad when all the parameters are doing fine.

Thank you in advance.

blennymower
06/30/2009, 07:39 PM
bump

blennymower
06/30/2009, 08:27 PM
Anyone?

Logzor
06/30/2009, 08:30 PM
The whole chemical warfare things is debatable. I see nothing wrong with a mixed reef so long as the wrong corals do not touch. Mushrooms will sting just about anything to death, for example.

VacavilleFC3S
06/30/2009, 08:31 PM
what do you mean by you have a 2-part mixed???

leather and anemone might be your biggest problem actually , the leather will create some nasty chemical warfare to anything near by and the anemone will sting anything it can touch

Arati
06/30/2009, 08:53 PM
leather of coarse ,.they are evil :blown:

But beyond that the conditions that make for a good sps tank, ime make soft coral go crazy coltcoral xenia leather button polys ect all grow much much much faster then sps in the same tank. the real problem is constant trimming and cutting back of the mother colony , not to mention how fast they spread out to new little colonys:

blennymower
06/30/2009, 09:03 PM
So if I have a leather on one side of the tank and an sps in the other side will they be alright?

tastingSalty
06/30/2009, 09:06 PM
they should be . . . mine are fine that way

Nanz
07/01/2009, 01:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15284734#post15284734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Logzor
The whole chemical warfare things is debatable. I see nothing wrong with a mixed reef so long as the wrong corals do not touch. Mushrooms will sting just about anything to death, for example.

Except for frogspawns.. They seem to have the reach, hehe

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/158010WarFrog_1.jpg

SaltyMember
07/01/2009, 02:48 PM
Check out the current tank of the month. It has a mix of SPS, LPS and soft coral.

TWallace
07/01/2009, 04:39 PM
I have a few large toadstool leathers in my mostly SPS reef tank. Biggest one is about 12" tall with a 6" disc on top, I never run carbon, skim very dry and only do a 30% water change every 4-6 weeks. In my experience, you have much more to fear from ricordia, mushrooms, aiptasia and majano stinging your SPS than water borne toxins created by leathers. I lost 90% of my big California tort 2 weeks ago from a majano sting at the base.

Zoanthids can be a problem with SPS as well. They don't sting them, but they do grow up the branches blocking light. I use kalk paste to clear them off from the the base of corals. I also use it to clear the perimeter around encrusting montis to make room for growth.

luther1200
07/01/2009, 06:18 PM
I had a pretty big Sarcophyton ( toadstool leather ) at least 10+ diameter, and I had a bunch of SPS bleachings. And I always ran carbon 24/7. I tested everything and did just about everything you could imagine trying to figure out what was going on. I have since removed it and haven't had an issue since. And it wasn't just SPS near it, it was anywhere in the tank. So I would stay away from them (toadstool leathers) if you plan on keeping SPS, IME.

I would also stay away from mushrooms and Kenya tree coral. Because they multiply like rabbits. And before you know it they are every where. The Kenya tree won't really sting, but the mushrooms will.

RRaider
07/01/2009, 07:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15284734#post15284734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Logzor

Tell that to the mushroom my Lobo landed on. It melted that shroom in a couple of minutes.