PDA

View Full Version : Looking to downsize to a nano

Drag Racer
06/30/2009, 07:43 PM
I currently have a 55 gal tank. Looking to downsize to free up some room and save on some costs. My question is...is a nano more work than a bigger tank? Less water to lug around. Less water to change. Ive heard some people say that a nano is more work. Is it true?

billie6227
06/30/2009, 08:00 PM
Yes, it is more work. The less water the more problems that can and will occur. Unless you are watching your water parameters very carefully, things can be out of whack very easily. I have had anywhere from a 120 to my current 12 gallon nano. I wish I would have kept the larger ones because they were more forgiving. I also spent the extra money to have an auto-top off. I guess it really depends on what you are planning to keep in the tank. I have softies and a clownfish with his bubble-tip, and have had them in the tank for over a year. Make sure you don't over do it to quickly, and things will work out.

Drag Racer
06/30/2009, 08:05 PM
Im looking to have a pair of clowns, cleaner shrimp and some soft corals. Not too much. I only have a regal and a few corals right now that I will transfer to the nano. Have about 60lbs of live rock that I will transfer what I can to the new tank. Will have to sell the regal. Too big for the nano. Dont want many fish. Have had too many problems with fish getting along.

kingfisher62
06/30/2009, 08:18 PM
I currently have a 55g tank and a 14g biocube and I have to say the cube is a lot easier for me. 2 to 3 gallon water changes sure beats 8 to 10 gallon changes for sure. Although when it is time to clean the glass it gets a little tight in my small tank.

I have to say , right now my biocube is virtually maintainance free and has been for the last 8 months( knock on wood). I think I have to atribbute that to a macro algae that is growing on my power head . Every two weeks I tear off a big hand full and toss it. There is not a speck of algae on my glass or Live rock.
most people would say my tank is over crowded with 2 clowns and a yellow watchman goby and nitrates remain undetectable

I hardly ever have to clean the glass except for coraline occasionaly.

Are you gong to keep corals?
The stock lighting is more than adequate for soft corals and most lps's.

One thing you do have to worry about is with such a small ammount of water , water conditions can go south pretty quickly compared to larger tanks.

BTW , here is a picture of the tank it has not been cleaned in two months other than water changes bimonthly. You can see the macro growing on the powerhead and the pump outlet
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/Kingfish62/DSCF6607.jpg

Drag Racer
06/30/2009, 09:29 PM
Thats nice looking. What nano would you recommend? There are a few companies out there oceanic, aquapod, and nano cube.

Ansphire
06/30/2009, 09:59 PM
dude My nano is soo much easier...

just get a controller so it's stable.

Flipper62
07/01/2009, 12:10 AM
I have had a lot of different size tanks over the years. I now have a 90 gal & a BioCube & working on a 180 gallon.

The thing about a small BioCube tank is that things happen very fast compared to a larger tank. The water evaporation will change the salinity much faster. The water will heat up way faster also. IMO....a larger tank is more forgiving then a BioCube.

Ya, the water changes are larger & takes more time. But in general the larger tanks are easer & more forgiving.

MADtanks
07/01/2009, 08:24 AM
Its always going to be mixed feelings, bc in a nano you need to have everything pristine.... most people that accomplish this are doing it by automation, what i mean by that is mostly an Auto Top-Off. Also using a good skimmer!(deltec or similar hang on(if no sump) ), staying on top of your water changes, and making sure your trates are stable.

I like my nanos, yes there is less room for error but if you do things right you will be as happy with it :). For me its either way :) i have had 120G full blown SPS tank, and as small as 3G pico. I like the smaller light bill at the end of the day ;) but my kids like to have their "Dori, and Nemo" so have to keep both lol.

good luck.

hebygb
07/01/2009, 11:55 AM
I have to agree with whats been said... I have a 65, 12 and 29... Each has its own sump... The 12 has a 20 gallon sump which certainly helps with stability... ATO is a must on any tank IMO. Quite frankly my 12 gallon has identical components as my 65... and so the footprint is very close... why do I have both sizes? There is something about working in a smaller more intimate space... The 12 has its own "wow" factor since it is a Zeroedge, but aside from that it afords me the opportunity to do something a little different than the other tanks, different species, biotope, etc....

reeferoo
07/01/2009, 12:12 PM
I have a 60 and a 12g nano.

While indeed my DT is more forgiving, that nano is oodles easier to care fore. I can do less water changes. It is overall a more stable system. However, having a DT means I am less concerned about little things like some turf algae in the nano.

No skimmer, no chiller, my nano is super easy. I do maybe a 3 gallon water change every week or two. I topoff maybe once a week. I do not suppliment much- occasional alk boost, occasional Phosphate remover. Feeding is easy, cleaning the glass is easy with a blade scraper. The lights are not the easiest to replace, but hey, they aren't easy on my 4' fixture either!

I use my nano to deter me from messing with my DT too much. Does not always work. :-D
Corals grow faster in my nano but I keep easier ones in there and my bioload is relatively small with just one fish.

I have some macro growing in mine too, which can't hurt!

So I would say, if you want a pristine nano, more work potentially. If you want a low maint nano, no prob.

Drag Racer
07/01/2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all the info. Every little info helps. keep them coming.

fewskillz
07/01/2009, 06:13 PM
I'll phrase it this way: a nano is more work, but it's easier work. Just stay up on the basic maintenance and be patient from the beginning and it will run very smooth.

Downsizing using rock and inhabitants that are already healthy and pest-free will make things a breeze. Don't be dead set on an All-in-one either. Build your own system, you'll have more options. I would stick to a 15 to 20 gallon for what you're wanting to keep. Some T5HO lighting and a couple of koralia nano's and you're in business.

kingfisher62
07/01/2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the compliment, drag racer.
Out of all the nano choices , I can only vouch for the Oceanic Biocube. I have had mine for over two year and love it.
The only problem I ever had is one of the ballast had went after a few months and when I emailed them they sent me a replacement immediately.

I only wish I went with the 29g because my corals grew so fast in my 14g .Things got crowded quickly.

Iactually have changed my 55 fOWLR tank to a reef tank and stocked completely with frags fom the biocube.

Ansphire
07/01/2009, 11:56 PM
Also, something to think about is what light are you thinking of going with?.. If you where gonna use t5's I would recommend going with a 24" tank... bulb selection on the 20" stink...

I have the 20" nova extreme pro.. and I'm supper happy with the light.. so are my corals.. but I can only use the stock bulbs from current... I wanted to do mh/t5 combo.. but again.. smallest is 24"

Drag Racer
07/02/2009, 10:51 PM
I want to run MH. I love the look of the ripples on the bottom that it gives you.