PDA

View Full Version : need some help.. evasive unidentified species

Purple Penguins
06/30/2009, 07:46 PM
This is kinda hard to do.. the invader is to small to take pics of.. it is a coral of some type, and is very tiny, looks like fuzz, but when looking at it closer it looks like a form of Xenia or Anthelia. It appears to grow from photosynthisis or from disolved organics, it repoduces extremely fast by creeping stolen and the stalks are hair thin, they are brown in coloration. I've done non stop research on this for some time, its growing out of control everywhere, I feed the tank only once every 3rd day and lights are on an average light cycle of 8 hrs T5 day lights and 10 hrs T5 actinics at 324W, the are smothering my Zoanthids and ive tried freshwater dips, scrubbing them off and lights out for a week, nothing works so far, any suggestions or any ideas on what this horrible stuff is would be great!

thanks!
Angela

YoungReefer06
06/30/2009, 08:43 PM
Your description sounds exactly like some hydroids I have in my tank. Search around the net for "hydroids" and I bet you will find that is what you have, there are many different types. I would take a pic of mine to show you them, but I am bad enough photographing large corals let alone these small invaders.

Purple Penguins
06/30/2009, 09:33 PM
yes it does appear to be hydroids.. from what i can see they are known as brown pompom hydroids, now to try to get rid of them

Tswifty
06/30/2009, 11:25 PM
I would've guessed hydroids as well. I've heard kalk pasting over them can work.

Here is a pic of a colony I have in my tank currently growing under my green digi.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/New%20Rimless/GreenDigi.jpg