PDA

View Full Version : Getting my pinks and reds?

lobsterotomy
06/30/2009, 10:18 PM
I've been having some problems with the colours on some of the SPS - I just can't seem to keep reds going. Blue, purple, green, yellow are all doing well. I even have a green slimer about 16" down the tank, and it's glowing green. My yellow A humilis is yellow with a shimmer of green. Purples are doing well (all 3), and my blues are 2 for 3. Growth on everything is pretty good too. My red/orange montis (cap/digi) are both very red.

But my pink pocilliopora, pink stylophora and pink seriatopora are all brownish/pink. Any ideas to improve my reds? I've read that K supplementation can help with maintenance of reds; can anyone verify this? I have no idea as to the K+ in my tank either. I would have to buy a test for it.

Tank specs:
21g display tank (Custom made 16 x 16 x 21)
50lbs LR (yes, it's true)
4" sand bed (3.5" oolithic, .5" - 1.5" crushed coral on top)

Light: Current USA 6x18w T5HO (3 10K bulbs, 3 actinic) <- I realize this isn't the best fixture, but it was the 'best' non-MH choice. This could be my problem.
Skimmer: Tunze 9002 (coffee skimmate due to vodka dosing - 1 ml/ twice daily)

I have a 10g sump, with 5g of it being a chaeto refugium - needs to be trimmed back every 3 weeks or so.

NO3: 0 ppm (API)
PO4: 0 ppm (Hanna digital photometer)
pH: 8.0

Alk: 6.5 - 7 dKh
Ca: 420 ppm
Mg: ? (Can't remember the last time I tested)
I currently use Fauna Marin balling salts (w/ trace solutions) to keep Ca/Alk/Mg in place. Haven't had to adjust their dosage (GHL Profilux doser) in about 2 months. Fish load is light, but they're fed well. Carbon changed monthly; I just started to use GFO 3 weeks ago, but it hasn't made an appreciable difference. No other additives being used besides the vodka.

I also use ATI reef salt, which may be my problem also; when I run out I intend to change to KZ Reefer's best.

Any ideas for getting my reds and pinks to beam? Supplement K (if so to what concentration?)? Change my lighting (2 10K, 4 actinic)? Change salts?

Any ideas what to try?

FTS to give you an idea:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll255/ashikatani/Reef%20tank/FTS26-05-09.jpg

Top down of the front half:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll255/ashikatani/Reef%20tank/topdown26-05-09.jpg

SPStoney
06/30/2009, 11:38 PM
everything looks healthy so its probably your bulb combo that would fix the problem. the stock current bulbs SUCK. The bad new is I don't think any of the good bulb componies make 18 watt bulbs?

SPStoney
06/30/2009, 11:42 PM
Just noticed your alk is a little low too. I would try to push it up and see what happens.

reefsahoy
07/01/2009, 06:29 AM
use a fiji purple or uvl 75. 25 instead of a 10k. it will definitely pop reds and pinks!here's a pic to show you my pinks on an all t5 tank. fiji makes a big diff! i do like ul too. no photoshop either! this is a raw pic from the camera.
http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac125/reefsahoy/New%20Rimless/IMG_0788.jpg

reefsahoy
07/01/2009, 06:40 AM
dp, sorry

lobsterotomy
07/01/2009, 07:07 AM
I'd love to use a different bulb combo - so tell those other guys to start making 18w T5HO bulbs!

reefsahoy
07/01/2009, 07:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15286342#post15286342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lobsterotomy
I'd love to use a different bulb combo - so tell those other guys to start making 18w T5HO bulbs!

sorry to hear there are no other bulb combos. that actually is the reason t5's are so successful in coloration IMO. thats because you can custom taylor your setup with a wide spectrum that will enhance coloration in your tank. kinda like a tank without atinics, the corals just don't pop until you add it. when i first started using t5's a few years ago i didn't like the colors of my corals, then i learned about bulb combo and overnight it was as if i threw in crayons into the tank. thats the reason when i went MH i had to have a decent amount of t5's so i could select bulb combos to offset any deficiency in colorations that MH might have.:D

lobsterotomy
07/01/2009, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I'd love to run other bulbs, but I chose this fixture, and now I'm stuck with it till I upgrade tanks (hopefully in the next year).

Anyways, I wanted thoughts on these things to get better colours, chiefly the reds and pinks:

1. Change out to 4 actinic bulbs/2 10K (presently 3 actinic/3 10k)
2. Change salt to KZ from ATI reef salt - better salt?
3. Supplement K (Potassium - most likely with a KCl)

reefsahoy
07/02/2009, 09:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15291533#post15291533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lobsterotomy
Yeah, I'd love to run other bulbs, but I chose this fixture, and now I'm stuck with it till I upgrade tanks (hopefully in the next year).

Anyways, I wanted thoughts on these things to get better colours, chiefly the reds and pinks:

1. Change out to 4 actinic bulbs/2 10K (presently 3 actinic/3 10k)
2. Change salt to KZ from ATI reef salt - better salt?

if you go towards the blue spectrum you will lose reds and pinks. the deeper you go in the ocean, the bluer the water is, the more reds and pinks lose their color. The color of the coral is actually there but to our eyes they lose color because of the spectrum of the light hitting the coral. if you go more towards 10 k you will lose the nice colors overall.
can you turn on just 2 bulbs at a time? if so turn on the 10k's only and you'll see what i mean. as far as the other concerns, i'll leave that to others but IMHO, i don't think those options will make that much of a difference assuming your water Q is good.

lobsterotomy
07/02/2009, 09:14 AM
Yeah, I know the bulb choices I have will do nothing for the reds/pinks. Really I think it's more of an elemental thing. I'm fairly certain my water parameters are good - the success in my other SPS speaks to that I think.

We'll see what the change to KZ RBS does for me. See if that works :)

Zylski
07/02/2009, 10:55 AM
I have the same problem as you, but mines starting to get better. You never mentioned what you have for flow? The pink stylo expecially needs alot of flow to color up the bright pink, it also needs alot of light. I dont know how t5s work but mabye stick it at the top of the tank. Also your alk is a tad low it should be around 8-9 dkh.

Zylski
07/02/2009, 10:57 AM
Opps looked at your current tank info, you have a MP-20 well look at where the stylo is placed and mabye move it where it gets more flow yet.

CHUBAKAH
07/02/2009, 02:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15291533#post15291533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lobsterotomy

Potassium effects blues, not reds FTR.

I agree that the lighting is most likely the problem.

lobsterotomy
07/02/2009, 04:08 PM
Potassium iodide (KI) is used to affect blues from my understanding. Other sources of Potassium (ie, Potassium chloride, KCl) are used for the enhancement of pinks/reds.