PDA

View Full Version : Will this idea "hold water"?

coralfragger101
07/01/2009, 01:54 AM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/coralfragger101/RC%20Photos/WaterVessel.jpg

Made from 4x8 sheets of plywood and 2x4's.
Sealed and painted with sweetwater paint.

I figure it would hold about 800 gal.

Is this structurally sound?

Estimated cost: About $250. A lot cheaper than the plastic storage tanks from Tank Depot.

billdogg
07/01/2009, 06:00 AM
at 8' tall, it will have tremendous pressure at the bottom. I would, at the very least, beef up support all around - maybe 2x6's, and especially around the bottom perimeter. I would also use a pond liner or similar for the inside - seams will be difficult to seal.

why so big??? I use a 55g plastic barrel - they are cheap and very available, and if you turn it upside down, it comes with threaded fittings already installed! I cut off 1/2 of the bottom (now the top) and hinged it using scraps of plastic milk jugs and nylon nuts and bolts. the "hinges" fail every couple years - takes about 2 minutes to replace them

nyvp
07/01/2009, 07:41 AM
by adding some ribs/crossbeams between the 2x4's there by connecting the 8' lengths. it would help a lot

ReefWreak
07/01/2009, 07:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15286154#post15286154 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billdogg

why so big??? I use a 55g plastic barrel - they are cheap and very available, and if you turn it upside down, it comes with threaded fittings already installed! I cut off 1/2 of the bottom (now the top) and hinged it using scraps of plastic milk jugs and nylon nuts and bolts. the "hinges" fail every couple years - takes about 2 minutes to replace them

I know he already has at least 1 55g barrel that he's using currently, and knowing him personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a bunch more of them out back, for a rainy day project or something.

Interesting project idea Chuck, and yea, it looks cheaper than the water containers sold locally. How about buying that 220g tank and just using it for water storage?

coralfragger101
07/01/2009, 09:21 AM
Eric,

I PM'd that guy with no response. I'll call him today but it's probably gone already. While that isn't big enough, it's still better than nothing.

I'm setting up a dedicated prop tank and the one 55 gal mixing station I have now is fine for what I have now (and mixing my own salt), if I had something BIG I was going to switch to NSW when my stock of salt runs out. Much cheaper in the long run.

I know someone selling a 330 gal tank depot container but there is no way it would go through a doorway into my place. So unless I can find a reasonably priced container that will fit through a doorway, I'm going to have to make it.

coralfragger101
07/01/2009, 09:55 AM
What if I build the box and weld a tubular steel frame around it?

I don't know about strengths and such but I would imagine that a "cage" would take up less room and be stronger than reinforcing the box with wood.

I have a MIG welder but not sure how thick of steel I can weld with it.

sld123
07/01/2009, 11:25 AM
it would probably work better if you layed on its side instead of having it straight up and down . it would just take up more floor space . you could put braces across the top to keep from bowing it would be alot stronger laying down

ReefWreak
07/01/2009, 11:33 AM
Chuck, what about using a woven vinyl or kevlar bag lined on the inside with less expensive plastic, since it's for nothing but holding water, then just support it with the tubular steel that you're talking about? Stability of something that tall could be an issue perhaps, but at least this will be pretty straightforward, once you figure out the dimensions of the bag and how/where to get it made or make it.

wooden_reefer
07/01/2009, 12:48 PM
First, it needs wrap-around straps especially at the lower half.

Second. the strength of the joints of the wood is important.

Third, the joint at the seams of the plywood, the 45 degree edges, should be reinforced with epoxy.

Fourth, if it is outdoor, UV effects.

MattShack
07/01/2009, 02:11 PM
I think a decent size steel angle around the bottom would work. I would be worried about just using Sweetwater though. Either epoxy resin and fiberglass or pond liner like suggested above I think would be better. I am building a 1000 gallon like this and plan on building my sump the same way as your diagram, except 4' tall. I'm using resin and fiberglass with Sweetwater on top. Still cheaper than water tanks. I am considering building some water storage tanks in the same manner. Could you make it shorter and wider, i.e. 8' long instead of 8' tall?

wooden_reefer
07/01/2009, 02:59 PM
Kids or animals can easily drown in it; be careful.

coralfragger101
07/01/2009, 04:07 PM
I do think I'll make it shorter. If it's only 4' tall then it shouldn't be all that much pressure I would think.

I almost gave up on this completely and settled for 220 gal cause I snagged up a used tank today for $80. But I think I'll end up using it as a sump so I'll still need the water storage container.

MattShack
07/01/2009, 08:17 PM
I think 4' tall should be ok. You could always drill holes through the 2x4's and insert a piece of threaded rod. If you put one on each side it would be pretty strong. It would keep the panels from seperating.

coralfragger101
07/02/2009, 06:17 AM
That's a good idea. Might be easier than adding crossmembers AND the corners could be joined by a 90 degree piece of threaded rod.