PDA

View Full Version : clowns and LPS

DSR
07/01/2009, 07:29 AM
Alright so my baby daughter bought a mated pair of clown fish... but I had gotten rid of my nem because it was from the devil... last night I saw soemthing that I thought didn't happen and it made me laugh and gasp at the same time...

The female clown is now hosting my big Duncan (which is not really enjoying the attention at all). The male clown is hosting my frogspawn (which, likewise, is not happy).

I think i am going to be getting another anemone tonight as I am concerned that the clowns will irritate my LPS to death... any thoughts?

seattleguy
07/01/2009, 07:56 AM
I have raised clowns and for the same reason that you got rid of your Anemone I let them host in leathers, Hammers, Frogspawn, Torch, Xenia and anything else that they could find. As many as 100 small clowns would all nestle in and around these corals and there was never an adverse effect.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3170/truepercs4zb1.jpg

cthedaytrader
07/01/2009, 09:37 AM
My clown pair has been hosting in my frogspawn for nearly a year now with no adverse effects. Except for when i had to move the frogspawn and took it out of tank for a minute the the clowns went nuts shooting sand everywhere lol

DSR
07/01/2009, 09:43 AM
That is good to hear. I was concerned because my duncan seemed a bit put off by it. I may get another anemone tonight to give them something proper to host. Any issues with them hosting a condy?

nattarbox
07/01/2009, 09:47 AM
Condylactis are native to the Caribbean, so in nature they would not normally be hosted by clownfish. I don't know if that would have any bearing on how they would react to it.

Sugar Magnolia
07/01/2009, 09:51 AM
You'd be better of getting a bta for the clowns. Condy's get really big, as do LTA's.

cthedaytrader
07/01/2009, 10:34 AM
I have no experience with condys but I used to have rose bta and green bta's for my clowns, and although the clowns hosted in them, and I loved the anenomes, they were somewhat difficult to keep in the tanks. They were great when they stayed put, but they got really big and stung everything around them, and when they walk all over, it was anightmare not to mention they got stuck in a power head, luckily it didnt die i caught in time, but if it dies in such a small tank, it can big a big problem and even crash the tank.

DSR
07/01/2009, 12:04 PM
I never had any problems with my condy moving around, but it was big. I had thought that the BTA got bigger than the condy? I really would prefer not to have one in my tank at all, but I also don't want the two clowns constantly irritating my LPS. Silly fish.

DSR
07/02/2009, 11:45 AM
Although I know that they aren't actually hurting the LPS they are "biting" the polyps and generally annoying the heck out of the duncan and the Frogspawn. Both used to open up really large, but now they are staying pretty small due to the constant rubbing, nudging, bumping they receive from the clown fish. Any suggestions on how to get the clowns to stop doing this? Your suggestions are appreciated.