PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Mag Pump 12 or 18

AcuraCl1
07/01/2009, 08:09 AM
I am looking for a Mag 12 or 18. Please let me know if you have one for sale.

Scott

CeeGee
07/01/2009, 08:38 PM
I am not a big fan of the Mag pumps as they burn a lot of electricity and add a lot of heat to the tank. They are also very loud. I prefer the ehiem pumps (very quiet and extremely reliable) but they may not make one that fits your needs.

With all the high quality pumps out there why have you settled on a Mag?

AcuraCl1
07/01/2009, 09:39 PM
While I was at ebay the other day, I was talking to Shawn about my pump situation. He showed me the mag 12 that he is running for the little pond for the gators, and it wasnt loud and it was just barely warm. And I could use them as an external, so heat wasnt going to be a huge issue since I would be running it outside of the tank. Are they not reliable.

CeeGee
07/01/2009, 09:48 PM
They are a decent pump. Compared to my eheim (I replaced a Mag 9.5 with a eheim 1260) they are LOUD, use a lot of electricity (which added unwanted heat to my tank), and just not as well built as the German eheim. Not a bad pump by any means but can't touch my current pump. I also had to clean the Mag every couple of months. I have cleaned my eheim once in 4 years and when I took it apart I almost didn't clean it as it really didn't need it.

I know the largest eheim is the 1262 but I am unfamiliar with how it would compare to the mag 12. If it had similar specs there would be no question as to which I would choose.

andywe
07/01/2009, 10:00 PM
The mag is a decent pump. Mine I did not ahve to clean like CeeGee..not sure what was up there, but I will say that although it can be run external, it's life will be reduced. If your looking at pumps to run externally, take a look at the panworld pumps. decent bang for the buck, quiet, and reliable..plus they make smaller sizes for the flow your looking for.

Nothing worng with a sequence..bnut usually they are more than you need (as you found out).

CeeGee
07/02/2009, 07:31 AM
I agree with Andy. If you are going external get a nice iwaki or panworld. If you buy iwaki make sure to get the japanese motor.