PDA

View Full Version : SeaChem matrix as a replacement for some live rock

Husky_1
07/01/2009, 09:19 AM
Hey guys,
I have taken down my tank, bleached and acid bathed my rocks, and am now starting to rebuild. Now that I am rebuilding, I will be utilizing about 40% less rock than I had in the past (but will be going from bare bottom to sand). This change over has be a little worried about the stability of my nitrifying bacteria in my tank now that I have less rock.

This is when I thought of Seachem matrix. In the past when I was using Zeovit I was also following one of the Zeovit alternative threads. In the alternative methods, some guys were using seachem matrix to house additional bacteria colonies.

Since I have very little space (I have a corner tank after-all) for a live rock bin or a RDSB, I was thinking that this may be able to help alleviate my concern. What do you guys think?

Here is a pic of what I am talking about:
http://www.seachem.com/Products/images/Matrix_500mL.jpg

KarlBob
07/01/2009, 02:52 PM
Where would you put the Seachem matrix? One option would be a cannister filter.

Husky_1
07/01/2009, 02:53 PM
Since I do not intend to use Zeovit, I will probably put it in my zeo reactor, a mesh bag in the sump, or something else pretty easy.

KarlBob
07/01/2009, 05:12 PM
My concern would be that this material would act more like bioballs than live rock.

Bioballs have a large surface area, located in an aerobic environment. They cultivate plenty of nitrifying bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite, then nitrate. Live rock has a large aerobic surface area, too, but it also contains anaerobic spaces. The anaerobic spaces, deep inside the pores of the rock, host denitrifying bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen gas.

The SeaChem pellets don't look large enough to have much internal, anaerobic surface area. Without enough live rock, you may find youself doing a lot of water changes to keep nitrate in check.

Husky_1
07/02/2009, 08:05 AM
Karl, that is my concern as well.

bidny
07/06/2009, 09:15 AM
Seachem Matrix is supposed to support denitrifying bacteria within, and I have seen a couple of tanks successfully use it as a substitute for live rock in the past. From what I've heard, it was designed with this specific purpose in mind.

I would recommend checking out the comments on it in the Seachem forum.

Husky_1
07/06/2009, 09:52 AM
thanks Bid..I will check it out.

KarlBob
07/06/2009, 01:12 PM
If it works the way the ad copy claims it does, you just might be able to pull this off, Husky_1.

Husky_1
07/06/2009, 01:19 PM
yeah, I think its worth a try at this point. While it may be a nitrate factory, at least it will process nitrites and hold other bacteria sources.

bidny
07/06/2009, 02:24 PM
Let us know how it turns out. I've always been interested in trying it myself.

Husky_1
07/06/2009, 02:38 PM
No problem, I think it will be one of those things that if works, you will never really be able to pinpoint it since the rebuild will be basically starting fresh (new BK skimmer, acid washed rocks, new sand, more sump flow)...

tmz
07/09/2009, 01:01 PM
I use some of it in my sumps in plastic fruit baskets. It is very light and porous . Very handy for quarantine tank use. Some of it will float until its saturated with water . Reminds me of pumice stone pebbles. I don't know how effective it is on nitrate though. I use some on a separate 65 g tank in a canister filter and nitrates are up in the 50ppm range on that one.

Husky_1
07/09/2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks TMZ,
I use to run a full blown Zeo system, so I have a DIY reactor that I am going to use to put this stuff in. What I like about this, is that I can control the flow rate with a ball valve, while also forcing water to come in contact with it.

How much live rock do you have in your system 50ppm Nitrate system now?

tmz
07/09/2009, 09:00 PM
That is a 65 g tank running on a canister filter. I keep fish that I wouldn't put in my reef tanks such a a valentini toby and a small trigger , flame angel... with discoma and some leather corals. I would guess I have about 35 lbs of live rock in there and a a very weak skimmer(hob red sea prism). Not very worried about the nitrates with those corals.

I hope it works for you. I'm skeptical that even though it is porous, the pores may not be deep enough to create hypoxic area for the denitrifiers.

I have also used it with sulfur in a reactor on my main 550g system with very good results in nitrate reducton to 0ppm.