PDA

View Full Version : Cyano Problems

sikpupy
07/01/2009, 01:49 PM
Okay, I woke up this morning, at 7:00am to a 90% clean sand bed, I swear! I walked up to the tank and looked at is closely because I could not belive it. Then, just before I go to work I see red abound. I come home for lunch and there is red cyano everywhere on the bed that gets the most light from the T-5's, but, here is the catch...they are NOT on!? The only light coming into the house is low filtered light through blinds. Now, I could understand some colored growth changing to red, but, to see nothing and then something appearing out of nothing???? :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Sugar Magnolia
07/01/2009, 01:54 PM
Cyano migrates down into the sandbed during the night. That's why it always appears much better in the morning. ;) Syphon off whatever you can on a daily basis, run some GFO and decrease your nutrient input.

btw, your thread title is a huge no-no.

eyesinthedrk
07/01/2009, 02:11 PM
if you woke up to a new Achilles tang totally ick free snacking on a roll of nori like the Vlasic pickle stork id say you had good crack

but since you saw cyano im voting bad crack

mhurley
07/01/2009, 02:58 PM
Thread title edited...Keep it family friendly please.

mounts327
07/01/2009, 03:44 PM
I had cyano EVERYWHERE - rocks, sand, snail/hermit shells, glass, even growing on my friggin arrow crab.

I bought a reactor and 10 days later it is 95% gone

sikpupy
07/01/2009, 07:17 PM
*sigh* ...... I guess it is official, my GFO is depleted. I was not getting any flow for the most part, cleaned it out and tried to reuse it, but, guess its toast. Thing is though, I was more so wondering about the magic cyano. One minute it is there red and stringy, the next it is gone!? What can I say, I was totally bewildered by that, lol.

mhurley - Yes sir .... :artist:

tegee
07/05/2009, 10:41 AM
So you are saying the fresh reload of GFO in your reactor cured your cyano problem? I am desperately trying to clean up my cyano problem (not too bad at this point, but annoying not the less) and want ti get rid of it. I do run GFO in a reactor but only change it out every 3-months. Should I be changes it out more frequently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated