PDA

View Full Version : experience with red corris wrasse???

kikireef
07/01/2009, 06:11 PM
So I was at the lfs and a red corris wrasse (juvenile) really caught my attention. I asked some questions and the store owner said they are reef safe and eat mysis shrimp and other stuff as well. So...I bought him and then did some research (stupid me) and learned they are supposed to be coral safe but not reef safe because they will eat snails, inverts and crabs. This sucker is WAY too fast to catch. Anybody know anything about these? Should I worry much since he is so small? I know they can get big and I have a 125 so that is not my worry. I am worried about everything I learned they eat in my tank...

Eric the half-bee
07/01/2009, 06:16 PM
Mine is about 5" in a 400 gal reef and does what he's supposed to. Goes around looking for snails, hermits,etc. He doesn't bother corals and I have no shrimp. I just accept that I have to restock CUC every X months...

kikireef
07/01/2009, 06:24 PM
Should I worry about my red banded shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp, and peppermint shrimp while he is a juvenile (only about 1.5")

es1887
07/01/2009, 07:32 PM
they get big and they grow fast i had one in my tank, but had to get rid of it(which was so much fun). a 120 is just too small of a tank they can deplete the fauna pretty fast, and i would definitely worry about your shrimps. there are many different types of wrasses that do not get that big that are great to add to a reef. i have a mystery and a xmas tree. they do not touch the corals, but i have not seen my shrimp in quite some time.

kikireef
07/01/2009, 07:40 PM
Well another question now is..do wrasses typically eat shrimps? I would definetly like to replace him with a mystery and a fairy in the future...

fewskillz
07/01/2009, 07:51 PM
I've never dealt with a red one. My buddy had a yellow coris wrasse that one day started killing hermit crabs and snails. Probably would've killed shrimp too, but there weren't any in that tank.

I recommend using a water bottle trap to catch him. I've caught a few dottybacks that way.

es1887
07/01/2009, 10:10 PM
some wrasses do for sure. the fairy wrasses are not as voracious, also leopard, and smaller wrasses are good. the mystery wrasse is a really cool fish with an odd behavior. it has a big mouth so it would not surprise me if they eat them. if he can fit it in his mouth he will eat it. so i think that if the shrimps are larger then you should be fine.

DaveMorris
07/01/2009, 10:46 PM
I did the same thing. Bought a red coris on impulse without proper research and regretted it from the get go. He terrorized my 300g reef. Anihilated my nassarius population, picked up fairly big rocks and moved them from one side of my 8' tank to the other. I was able to finally catch him in a trap and took him back to the LFS where I got him.

It is a beautiful fish, though.