PDA

View Full Version : Transfering Corals

newsalt
07/01/2009, 07:49 PM
I just set up a new 180g. I wanted to know how long I should wait before putting my SPS coral and clam into the new tank. I checked params today and everything seemed fine except the Mg, it was 1200.

reidcrandall
07/01/2009, 07:53 PM
Did you move any LR over from an old tank? That can help t establish a tank a little bit faster.

I have had my new tank going for about 6 weeks, and transferred a piece over, and it has not been a problem for me. There was some established live rock in there from the beginning.

r-balljunkie
07/01/2009, 08:06 PM
I keep getting chastised for telling folks NOT to add sps to tank, until all settled, even to the point of being lambasted for trying to extend helpful advice. By no means am I the end all guru, but will stick to notion, do not add SPS until your tank has hardened about a year. Unless your lucky, or have superb husbandry skills, you usually end up with problems. Softies, lps, clams etc GO FOR IT~! they will usually survive.
With that said, is this a tank transfer or a new setup?

C

newsalt
07/01/2009, 08:10 PM
This is a tank transfer from a 120g reef. Waiting a year won't work since I had SPS in the 120g which are now in a stock tank. The new tank has 90% of the LR from the old tank.

reidcrandall
07/01/2009, 08:11 PM
I would tend to agree with r-ball. I don't know if I was clear enough about the fact that my move was a tank transfer. It went into a 'new' tank, but most of the other inhabitants came over with it. There was old live rock transferred over with the new live (which cycled for about 4 months before the tank setup), and then they both cycled the tank together for another 6 or so weeks.

It all depends on how stable your params are. I was in a position where my params were stable enough that I felt comfortable with the transfer.

I am also looking at everything closely every day, so that if a problem does begin to arise, I can nip it in the bud.

reidcrandall
07/01/2009, 08:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15290547#post15290547 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by newsalt
This is a tank transfer from a 120g reef. Waiting a year won't work since I had SPS in the 120g which are now in a stock tank. The new tank has 90% of the LR from the old tank.

If it were me, and I were in your shoes, I would transfer, as long as your parameters have been stable. Don't do the transfer the first day that everything you test for is back at 0. Make sure it is staying there steadily.

fewskillz
07/01/2009, 08:21 PM
Since it wasn't that big of a size increase, and you re-used everything you could, the new tank is basically the old tank after a big water change.

I say go for it. Just keep the stock tank setup for a few days in case things go bad and you need to pull stuff back out quickly.

r-balljunkie
07/01/2009, 10:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15290614#post15290614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fewskillz
Since it wasn't that big of a size increase, and you re-used everything you could, the new tank is basically the old tank after a big water change.

I say go for it. Just keep the stock tank setup for a few days in case things go bad and you need to pull stuff back out quickly.

+1

one more item to note is the sandbed. if you managed to move this over, with minimal rinse, i would say go for it as well, as long as parameters looked inline. more than likely, your corals are hardened anyways to tank life, so they might take a blip and then bounce.

best of luck

c

newsalt
07/02/2009, 01:45 AM
Sandbed is new. I added a few cups of the old sandbed to seed the new.

barraganbp1
07/02/2009, 01:51 PM
I upgraded from a 75g to a 150g back in march. I used everything but the sand bed. I transferred all my coral, fish and inverts the same night I completed the transfer I never lost a single coral. all I lost was a diamond goby that went through the overflow. All is doing very well.

I would say transfer. Just my 2 cents.