PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback on my plans

TXStateUnivReef
07/01/2009, 09:10 PM
Tank 48longx30wideX18tall is currently un-drilled with no overflows etc it is a fresh start. I am planning on doing a standard overflow on the rear wall. 2’wide x4”deep. I am also going with a smooth edge instead of teeth so I get maximum skimmage to catch exploring critters I will block the overflow cavity with egg crate as I have seen in other builds on RC inside I am thinking about doing two hoffer buster (off of reef central) pipes to take the water below. I am also planning on plumbing one large return up on top of the tank that will split 2 returns at the rear of the tank and 2 at the front to help distribute the clean water and create some flow.

The stand I am planning on building high 45”-50” before you say I need a stool, I am taller than sasquatch 6’7” so that means the rim of the tank will sit about 63-68 off of the floor. And I don’t think I will run into any issues with maintenance etc with my height and condor sized arms.

Canopy will be tall not sure how tall yet but our living room has 12 ft ceilings so I am going to bring it up some.

Lighting i have always used MHs but this tank is so shallow i am afraid of the heat that they will pump in. i have been thinking about doing a T5 retro on an aluminum rack 8x54w. I think that should be enough light and PAR to grow just about anything, and it will also allow me to meet my wife’s requirement that everything must fit inside the stand since i wont need a chiller. I am planning on mounting the fixture on the retractable mounts that sunlight supply sells so that when I need to access the reef I can just simply move the light up and out of the way.

Sump and fuge I am not sure on the size and im looking for suggestions.

Return pump: I can go internal pump or external im not really sure which one I want to use here I believe they both have their pro’s and con’s associated with each for instance if using a mag drive I wont need a heater since they are heat factories and with an external pump you run into issues at times with noise and vibration.

Heat: 250w stealth heater in the sump. Broken a glass one before smelled horrible and was hell to clean up I will never go glass again after using a stealth in my last setup.

Skimmer: I had a lot of luck with my CSS125 on my last tank and I wouldn’t hesitate using the 220 in this setup. I have been looking at ASM G2 and G3s and like what I see there as well. as a Highschool teacher I don’t have the money for a nog making deltec but would like some economical life sustaining performance.

Flow. I have run a closed loop on a past tank that I tried to plum a OM 4way into. I must say it was a plumbing investment. I helped lowes meet their quarterly sales in the plumbing department. I like the clean look that you get from a closed loop and if I were to install one I would power with a dart. But I’m still not sure. I love the wave motion that you can get with some oscillation.

I would go bare bottom but I love sand bottoms. I went DSB on my last setup and liked it but on this one I don’t have the tank depth for it so I think I will end up going crushed coral instead of fine sand so that I can keep it on the bottom if I get some good flow going.

Im not sure on total lbs of LR yet somewhere around 130-150 I suppose some of which will be in the fuge or sump.

I think that is all that I have brainstormed right now questions and comments and suggestions are welcome.
New Tank
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w244/cr1161/P1010944.jpg

aquainas
07/01/2009, 10:03 PM
Sounds like you're off to a good start....a 40-60g sump/fuge should be enough to provide good flow and leave enough room for overflow if the return pump is shut off.

Good call on using PC's vs MH on a shallow system you shouldn't have issues growing a wide variety and you benefit from less heat transfered, however you won't have the shimmer of the MH.

An Eheim1262 should be sufficient for your sump return, quiet, efficient and reliable.

GrimReefer82
07/02/2009, 12:31 AM
most 75 gal. tanks are only 18 high and i have 2 different friends that have 75's with 2 250w MH plus pc actinics without overheat issues. just be sure to keep them 12 inches off the surface of the water and have a couple of fans. if you are planning to build a tall canopy heat shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't use the glass tops for any reason, you need an open top or a screen. glass tops can cause a problem in reef tanks.

dogstar74
07/02/2009, 02:00 PM
http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/nashvillecream/funny-pictures-your-cats-evil-plan-is-working.jpg