PDA

View Full Version : ViaAqua 4900 or Mag9.5 for my sump???

Brann
07/02/2009, 02:26 PM
Hi,

I have a 90 gallon DT with a 600GPH 1" Reef Octopus overflow box going into my 55Gallon tank turned into a sump. My last pump chamber has a 12"x9" space for my return pump and there is about 7 feet of head to my spray bar. My plumbing is pretty simple and made up of 6 feet of flex hose with 1x 90 elbow going into to my spray bar. Right now I am running a this pump:

Catalina Aquarium Ca 6000 Aquarium Pump 1600 Gph

Sales pitch is...

Good for large aquariums 200 to 400 gallon, large sumps, ponds, pond fountains, pond sprinklers. 12 foot grounded cord. One inch male PVC threaded outlet. Ceramic shaft. Low energy consumption, high water outlet. Output: 1600GPH Power: 163W Dimensions: 4 1/2" x 3" x 8"

Here is is the flow chart for the pump: http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/images/CA6000flowchart.jpg

Based on that flow chart I should be getting like 600ish GPH, but I seem to be getting nowhere near that due a crack in the pump that leaks air into the system :(

I am just wondering what everyone thinks a good replacement pump would be for me that will not break the bank... I just wish i could use this Iwaki MD55RLT I have sitting right next to me collecting dust :(

Thanks in advance,
-Brann

pugbreath13
07/02/2009, 02:34 PM
Look at the Ocean Runner pumps at Bulk Reef Supply. Very affordable and low wattage.

Brann
07/02/2009, 06:38 PM
Do you own any of these Ocean Runner pumps?

I am looking at the Ocean Runner OR 6500 which says 1700GPH max head of 12.5ft... But, it does not say where the 1700GPH mark it... I would assume it is 1700GPH 0ft and 0GPH at 12.5ft like my current pump is rated. That type of marketing makes them sound awesome until I hook it up and I need it to go 7ft :( that 1700GPH goes waaay down..

Is there some math that you can do to find out the GPH drop off per foot of head is? I suck at math, but I had wondered if this was just a standard physic/gravity issue or if the drop off varied from pump maker to pump maker.

Thanks!

Fig
07/02/2009, 07:45 PM
I've owned several Mag pumps and I never had one go bad. You can always go bigger and put a ball valve on if the flow is to much.

Brann
07/03/2009, 08:08 AM
Looks like we have one vote for Mag... I can get a ViaAqua 4900 a little cheaper than the mag and would really like to hear from anyone that owns one of them.

Gary Majchrzak
07/03/2009, 08:14 AM
ViaAqua's are great but the Magdrive will outlast them IME.
Personally, I'd go with the Iwaki you already have. Why can't you use it?

Brann
07/03/2009, 08:32 AM
The Iwaki is a dry external pump and my sump is not drilled to have an output for the pump in level with it. I had made a thread about trying to feed the pump with a hose over the top of the tank via a siphon... I did not get any feedback and my small scale test with my little giant test did not go super well :(

I know everyone going to say just drill the tank and call it a day... But, I would have to take everything down and then risk cracking the tank.. I would rather get another submersible pump if it came down to that :(

I MIGHT try another siphon test with the Iwaki since it is a much stronger pump... I just need to get out to the Lowes and get parts that will fit the output of the pump... Romps through the local stores with my broken foot are less than fun these days :(

JasonD
07/03/2009, 09:12 AM
I've used Mag pumps for years very happy with mine, very solidly built pump. Can use externally and internally can't beat them.

Jason

mchud
07/03/2009, 09:41 AM
Mags are a great pump they will almost pump dirt, lol. They are not the most silent. But they will run forever.

Brann
07/03/2009, 02:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15298183#post15298183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
ViaAqua's are great but the Magdrive will outlast them IME.
Personally, I'd go with the Iwaki you already have. Why can't you use it?

I have updated my thread to explain my theory on using the Iwaki in my setup. Please check out my other thread on in and give me any input before I lay down some cash on the rest of my parts.

Dry pump thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=15299593#post15299593

The things we do to try and save a buck... I am really trying to avoid spending the 100 bucks on the mag9.5 now when I have the Iwaki right here IF I can use it. Thanks for getting me thinking about testing it more Gary!

Gary Majchrzak
07/03/2009, 02:54 PM
I'd definitely go with the Iwaki.

If your sump is acrylic it should be fairly simple to drain and drill it.

Brann
07/03/2009, 03:14 PM
Sadly it is a glass 55Gal I dived up to house my refuge :( I do not have the stones to drill...