PDA

View Full Version : Moving a large tank

HndMafia
07/02/2009, 02:33 PM
There is a 200gal reef setup for sale about 250 miles from me that I am interested in. Could anyone tell me how to move it without killing the inhabitants?

I have access to a truck and an enclosed trailer, so multiple containers won't be a problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

davjbeas
07/02/2009, 04:34 PM
I have used battery powered air pumps to transport fishes in a 5 gallon bucket for 500 miles. It keeps the water oxygenated and some flow too from the bubbles. If you had a power invertor to
plug into the cigarette lighter and extension cords maybe you could use multiple power heads to put some flow in the containers you will use for transporting the live animals.

Good luck
David

Bous
07/02/2009, 07:55 PM
I moved my 125 gal reef tank from my old house to my new house two years ago. I broke the system down the day before and put everything in 32 gal trash cans with power heads for water movement over night. I left the substrate in the tank. I lost only one snail and a 2year old peppermint shrimp. You could do the same with a power inverter just watch the watts.

Shablin
07/02/2009, 11:03 PM
Dont worry too much; remember, these things all survive being mailed. The biggest problem Ive had is pollution from dieoff after breakdown and reassembly and temperature swings while moving - should be ok this time of year.

Ive moved several large tanks and inhabitants;

I used coolers, buckets, trashcans, all half filled and not overpopulated.
I would get a power inverter, and extension cords and the power heads but unless you get stuck in traffic you probably wont need it as youll have water flow just from the truck moving (Id only bother with the pumps if the truck broke down or bad traffic). If you do use the pumps make sure they are secure and dont bounce around and do damage.

Make sure the water alk is good to buffer any pH swings that may occur.
Have a good water change ready for when you arrive home and get set up w/parameters as close to the setup your bringing home. and prepare another change for a couple of days later as a lot of stuff (sponges etc) will die and pollute. Also skim heavy and use lots of charcoal.