PDA

View Full Version : time frame for dosing cal/alk

connecticut cichlids
07/02/2009, 05:48 PM
as of now, and since Ive been in the hobby, I have always dosed my calcium, and alk in straight shots- pouring the dose into a high flow area in the sump...Lately Ive been dosing calcium on odd days, and the alk on even days of the week.....both at 30ml each. my question, would it be better to break the dosing of each chemical up over a wider time frame each day, with a dosing pump, or just continue to dump the 30ml in straight shots? :)

HighlandReefer
07/02/2009, 06:49 PM
It is always better to dose it more often in smaller increments. You should not raise your alk. by more than 2 dKH per shot.

bertoni
07/03/2009, 02:02 PM
I likely would dose at least daily. What's the alkalinity swing with the current dosing schedule?

connecticut cichlids
07/03/2009, 09:42 PM
Right now there are little to no hard or soft corals in the tank other than what came on the gulf view live rock. In all honesty, I do not do daily testing for cal/alc. But in a side note, I did try dosing the cal/alc supplement on a daily basis last month fir about to weeks, without any notice of overall improvment to coralline algae growth, so I went back to every other day if dosing. Since then, I have a dramatic increase of purple and lime green calcarous algae spores on my glass, powerheads and overflow! Which I'm happy with...:). And my rock has never looked better!

bertoni
07/03/2009, 10:21 PM
Okay, if the tank doesn't have corals yet, then daily dosing might not be all that useful. As long as the tank looks okay, I wouldn't worry.