PDA

View Full Version : Keep only one per tank?

likwidglostix
07/03/2009, 03:12 AM
Looking at LiveAquaria tonight I came across a few fish I'd be interested in putting into my upcoming 45. None are listed as agressive and all are reef safe. Semi-aggressive seems to dominate my list.

Name Temperament Min tank size

Macinelli's assesor basslet S-A 30g
Cherry Dottyback S-A 30g
Blue Flavivertex Pseudochromis S-A 30g
Tomo's Dottyback S-A 30g
Purple Pseudochromis S-A 30g
Midas Blenny P 30g
Neon Blue Goby P 10g
Orange-lined Cardinalfish P 10g

Max sizes add up to about 30".

I already have a Flametail blenny and two Ocellaris. If I were to get all these fish in the same tank that would make two blennies, two pseudochromis, and two dottybacks. My main question is if they are of different species from the same family, will this make the fish more likely to be aggressive? My other questions are What does "semi-aggressive" really mean? And does anyone see any issues with this list? I'd like to keep the tank as peaceful as possible. It's 48" long and 12" wide. Not sure how tall as I don't own a tape measure and I only asked the seller for the dimensions necessary for stand selection. I'm hoping I can set up the rockwork in a way that will give everyone thier own space. I don't need all of them, those are just the front runners.

Big E
07/03/2009, 03:45 AM
You can't mix Psuedochromis species, especially in a small tank like yours. They'll kill each other.

Those dottybacks are likely not going to get along with each other or with the Psuedochromis. All those species are similar & occupy the same environment.

You need to pick one & only one species from that group. You could get a pair of Psuedos of the same species. Especially if they are tank bred.

Acessors are timid & would likely get killed by a Psuedo in a tank your size. You could get a pair of Acessors.

You have way too many fish that occupy the same area of the tank. They are mostly rock/cave dwellers..................pick just one from that group.

BFG
07/03/2009, 06:29 AM
2 blenny in that tank? I tried with 2 blenny in a 120g and only 1 survived.

LobsterOfJustice
07/03/2009, 08:23 AM
Pseudochromis ARE dottybacks. And they are not nice... to eachother or other fish.

I don't know if the two blennies would get along either....

amore169
07/03/2009, 09:53 AM
I would only pick;

Assesor
Midas Blenny

good luck.

likwidglostix
07/03/2009, 01:08 PM
I was afraid they would all be cave dwellers. I'd like to get some free swimmers as well. The flametail was my first fish and he promptly found a hole to hide in all day, which is why I bought the clowns. I was thinking about a sixline, but it seems they are very mean as well. Most of the other wrasses require a bigger tank. I doubt I would get a pair of those assesors as they were 99.99 in the diver's den, but if I had to choose one from the list he's it. The midas blenny is nice, but I see them all the time. I like the flametail as very few people (on here) have them.

That's just what I liked from the diver's den. Any recomendations for other colorful, peceful, and active fish?

chrisstie
07/03/2009, 03:50 PM
Possum wrasse. Bristletail filefish. Other basslets. Swalesi are pretty nice.

snorvich
07/03/2009, 05:19 PM
I agree with the above posters but keep in mind that your pair of clownfish will be very aggressive in a small tank.

Grassroots
07/03/2009, 08:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15300351#post15300351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
I agree with the above posters but keep in mind that your pair of clownfish will be very aggressive in a small tank.

agreed

Look into a flasher wrasse they are very unique and beautiful little fish and would go well with your clowns and blenny.

Big E
07/04/2009, 06:05 AM
That's just what I liked from the diver's den. Any recomendations for other colorful, peceful, and active fish?

If you're looking for Psuedos I would look for other suppliers than DD. These fish are hardy & disease resistant..........you don't need to pay a premium price. You can get them for $20 less by just buying them from Live Aquaria in Cali.

Tank raised ones can be had for $20 to 35 from LFS & they are usually easy to come by...............look around.

I'd go for a pair of P. fridmani if it was me. They are one of the least aggressive & quite beautiful.

likwidglostix
07/04/2009, 11:33 PM
Is there an advantage in this situation to having a flasher over a fairy wrasse? If I had to make a list in order of interest it would go: McCosker's flasher, longfin fairy, carpenter's flasher. Also what's the word on females, do they need a few, or can they survive without them? I'm planning on making the wrasse the first fish in the new tank as they seem to be the least aggressive.

I'm considering leaving the clowns in the nano if they're really that mean, but I'm not sure if I want to run two tanks. I could pick up a pair of identical pumps to link the tanks, leaving the clowns in a "show" fuge. Ooh, I like that. What do you think?

Grassroots
07/05/2009, 10:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15306089#post15306089 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by likwidglostix
Is there an advantage in this situation to having a flasher over a fairy wrasse? If I had to make a list in order of interest it would go: McCosker's flasher, longfin fairy, carpenter's flasher. Also what's the word on females, do they need a few, or can they survive without them? I'm planning on making the wrasse the first fish in the new tank as they seem to be the least aggressive.

I'm considering leaving the clowns in the nano if they're really that mean, but I'm not sure if I want to run two tanks. I could pick up a pair of identical pumps to link the tanks, leaving the clowns in a "show" fuge. Ooh, I like that. What do you think?

You could do flashers or smaller types of fairy wrasses in your aquarium. Flashers tend to flash more when females in the tank but they are not required. The only advantage a flasher has over a fairy is they are smaller fish compared to most fairy wrasses. They should get along just fine with your clowns assuming the clowns do not become hyper aggressive when they mature and start to spawn. Generally flasher wrasses are relatively peaceful towards their tankmates excluding female flashers as they chase and "flash" them but generally no harm is done to the female.

I say generally because no fish is the same and that yours may end up the "exception" to the rule, but this is true with all fish their rules are not the rules we have made for them.