PDA

View Full Version : quarantine methods for non-hardy angelfish

mrk1260
07/03/2009, 07:51 AM
Hey everyone, I am currently planning out a tank and its stocklist. One of the fish is an adult emperor angelfish around 4-5 inches. I am planning on quarantining every fish before they enter the display.

As for the quaranting period, I was planning on using hyposalinity for most of the fish going through it. But as for the emperor angelfish, (which is much less than hardy), would hyposalinity be a wise choice for the qarantine period for this fish? Would it be too hard/stressful on the angel, leaving it vulnerable to a possible death in qt? If so, would I be best doing a medication based quarantine instead of a hyposalinity process?

Just seeing what everyone's input is, and what everyone else has done with more weaker (in terms of hardiness) angelfish in quarantine. Thanks a lot everyone!

mrk1260
07/03/2009, 02:17 PM
bump... anyone?

LargeAngels
07/03/2009, 03:12 PM
An emperor is actually pretty hardy. It will tolerate hypo just fine. Just know that hypo is ONLY really affective in killing ich. It won't do any good for velvet or flukes (which many angefish come in with.) I QT all my fish using Cupramine and Prazipro.

If the emperors you have seen are not hardy they are not being collected or handled properly.

mrk1260
07/03/2009, 03:54 PM
thanks a lot! Would you suggest I do a hypo/copper/pazipro combination. Or would that be too stressful? If so, should I just focus on a copper/prazipro qt period? Thanks!

jnc914
07/03/2009, 05:14 PM
Copper and Prazi combo. I wouldn't use hypo with copper.

Gwynhidwy
07/03/2009, 05:21 PM
Definitely do NOT use hypo with any copper treatment! It is usually a very bad idea to use any medication concurrently with hypo.

I prefer to use Cupramine over hypo, it is more effective and less stressful in my experience. I also treat with Prazipro for flukes and internal parasites.

DamnPepShrimp
07/03/2009, 06:27 PM
You could also have some liverock that's been thru QT treatments (it still will have some beneficial bacteria on it) that will make the fish feel more at home and also help with water quality.

mrk1260
07/03/2009, 06:39 PM
thanks a lot everyone, prazipro and cupramine it is. Holding period should be four weeks still right? Thanks!

revaltion131
07/03/2009, 07:18 PM
Would you guys recommend the same procedures for a Flagfin or Regal?

jnc914
07/03/2009, 07:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15300698#post15300698 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mrk1260
thanks a lot everyone, prazipro and cupramine it is. Holding period should be four weeks still right? Thanks!

I would avoid liverock as the copper will kill off anything beneficial on the rock, plus it will absorb the copper. I use 2-3 PVC fittings. The key is frequent water changes and make sure to accurately replace the medicine you took during the change.

DamnPepShrimp
07/03/2009, 07:57 PM
I cupramine and prazipro everything from damsels to angels. Anything can bring in a disease. Even inverts/corals can have diseases with them/in their shipping water. If you want to get technical, QT everything that goes into the aquarium that isn't a fish in a fallow tank for 4+ weeks.

klasiksb
07/03/2009, 07:58 PM
Are there any fish that do not handle the cupramine and prazipro combo well, Like blennies, gobies, wrasses?

jnc914
07/03/2009, 08:12 PM
Some butterflyfish don't handle the medication combo. When I got my pair of Tinkers, they did not like the prazi at all. They stopped eating, started breathing very heavily, and were almost listless until I put carbon in to clean the tank.

SDguy
07/03/2009, 08:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15301048#post15301048 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by klasiksb
Are there any fish that do not handle the cupramine and prazipro combo well, Like blennies, gobies, wrasses?

IME anthias don't handle copper well at all.

DamnPepShrimp
07/03/2009, 08:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15301034#post15301034 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnc914
I would avoid liverock as the copper will kill off anything beneficial on the rock, plus it will absorb the copper. I use 2-3 PVC fittings. The key is frequent water changes and make sure to accurately replace the medicine you took during the change.

Many people, including myself have coppered and used hypo on live rock. It will kill of inverts etc but not all beneficial bacteria. If the rock is pretty base (just bacteria on it) you should be good IF you use cupramine. Cupramine is the most mildest/safest copper treatment and will only make some of the bacteria lie dormant, but not all. It will however absorb copper. I have rock that is set aside for QT purposes. Having rock in the QT tank definitely helps, especially with finicky fish. A lot of us FOWLR guys treat the whole display, makes it easy on us :)

agreeive?fish
07/04/2009, 09:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15301048#post15301048 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by klasiksb

my personal experiences of fish that dont do well with prazi pro

Scribbled angel
Orbic batfish
Bamboo cat shark

again this was my PERSONAL experience and iam in no way saying its typical of these particular fish in general but only how mine reacted negativley to prazi pro

Macimage
07/04/2009, 11:50 AM
My experience is that Tinkers do not do well with Prazi Pro.

klasiksb
07/04/2009, 05:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15301185#post15301185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
IME anthias don't handle copper well at all.

Do you just hypo the anthias in QT? Thanks everyone for your feedback. Also everyone, do you think the fish that reacted negatively may have been sick to begin with?

Macimage
07/04/2009, 05:31 PM
I used two does of Prazi Pro on my Sunburst anthias and left them in the qt tank for 3 months.

Joyce

LargeAngels
07/05/2009, 12:21 PM
It may be that fish with internal parasites react badly to meds like Prazipro cause the parasites inside die and toxicity builds up in their system. The other thing about meds is to carefully add per gallons of actual water and not tank size.

revaltion131
07/06/2009, 07:26 AM
I used hypo on my anthias. I still lost one (that one just keeled over for no visible reason), but the other two I have had made it through just fine.