PDA

View Full Version : sailfin and atlantic blue tang?

jadeguppy
07/03/2009, 09:02 AM
I have a 25g with a sailfin tang. Will a Blue Carribean/ atlantic blue tang/ Acanthurus coeruleus fight with my sailfin? Has anyone tried to combine these two species? The other fish in the tank are much smaller.

returnofsid
07/03/2009, 09:29 AM
Is the size of your tank a typo and you meant 125 gallon? I sure hope so. A 25 isn't nearly large enough for even the smallest Tang, at it's smallest size.

I've recently seen a 300 with the same combination you're asking about. They got along fine.

jadeguppy
07/03/2009, 09:34 AM
Oops, typo. Standard 6' 125g. Thanks for catching that and for the good news.

r-balljunkie
07/03/2009, 12:11 PM
blue tangs are happy go lucky . should not be the source of the problem.

shouldnt be a problem.

c

maroun.c
07/03/2009, 01:47 PM
Afriend of mine has a sailfin with s collection of tangs in his 200 tank. the most fighting he sees is between the sailfin and yellow tang and sometimes between teh Sailfin and the PBT. weirdly it is the yellow that starts the fight most of the time. He used to have 6 Hyppo tangs (removed 4 out of them as they got huge and were knocking down corals) and they didn't fight often with the Sailfin. Still the sailfin grows huge and I was advised not to get one for my 6 ' 150 G.

mdrc
07/03/2009, 01:52 PM
you will be fine
as long as the rock is roomy and theres places to hide theyll be fine

r-balljunkie
07/03/2009, 01:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15299424#post15299424 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maroun.c
Afriend of mine has a sailfin with s collection of tangs in his 200 tank. the most fighting he sees is between the sailfin and yellow tang and sometimes between teh Sailfin and the PBT. weirdly it is the yellow that starts the fight most of the time. He used to have 6 Hyppo tangs (removed 4 out of them as they got huge and were knocking down corals) and they didn't fight often with the Sailfin. Still the sailfin grows huge and I was advised not to get one for my 6 ' 150 G.

+1 sailfins can and do get big quickly!

i got one out of a tank breakdown, on a 150g 4 footer. poor thing had nose abrasions from being cramped in the tank and bumping into live rock. i gave it away, only stipulation was tank had to be at least 200 gallons.

EMV7904
07/03/2009, 02:49 PM
I had an Atlantic Blue and a Sailfin in a 6 foot tank for a long time with no issues (180).

jadeguppy
07/03/2009, 04:49 PM
Awesome! Thanks for all the first hand experience. My rock is set up as a lot of caves, two are a good 10" tall for the sailfin. she is about 1/2 grown, but I don't want to have to move the rock later. There are also a lot of other caves. I've heard that a lot of yellow tangs and purple tangs have a tendency to become aggressive so I am avoiding them. My husband likes the foxface lo, so it would give the yellow color of the yellow tang without the aggression. Since the sailfin has been housed with one in the past, I know that those two should be okay. That would fill out my large fish selections. :) Then it is on to talking the hubby into a larger tank...